Subject: Re: F-4 Scans.
From: "Steve Bamford" <[email-masked]>
To: "Uncle Bill's Hobby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 14:32:17 -0700

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Uncle Bill's Hobby <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2000 10:22 PM
Subject: F-4 Scans.

> Hi Steve,
> I have a few scans regard to thie, I took some images and as i said
> before, Not good at it, only these turn out sharp. and I had them in
> black and white! My son may let me try again. 
> The first one is a the F-4G canopy of my current F-4G for Idaho"s c.o.
> col. Pato O'Rorke, the model will be finished in about an hour. Tail
> #303. The cockpit is the F-4G I am still working on, with kit yub and
> cut up KMC sidewalls repositioned and extras added, I sent scans to
> Black box. May be I hope to handle them for Canada as I think he has
> problem with the CDN. Distributor. The rest is the F-4E that I did
> Be>K.M.C. (Before KMC set available, everything scratch built.
>  
> By the way, i justhave some Leading Edgedecals available;
> F-86, RCAF #1 Wing in all 3 scales.
> CF-18 70 years, 425 Sqn. in 1/72 and 1/48.
> Spresd the words and let me know.
>  o.k., here we go;-- 
> **********************************
> Uncle Bill's Hobby
> http://members.home.net/unclebills
> **********************************
Hi Steve,
  To answer the questions, let start with the easiest one;
  The contest was a sucess as you can see from the posting in the
discussions in Hyperscale, we had 2 of the Victoria's finest; Will
hendriks and Percy Olson in town among others,and I am sure  they went
home happy.
  We do not have as many entries as last year but it was better than I
think it would be as the club went through some changes for the better.
I am sure it will be the best of the west next year.
  The Idaho F-4G decals was supposed a project fiancied and researched
by me and done by Leading Edge for me only. I mentioned a while back to
you and I do not want to start it up again, the only thing I have to say
is 'success and money can make man forget!' So instead of getting the
whole run of decals for myself, Dave refused to give them up and made
good  of my advertising and goodwills. I do have some of the decals
enough to sell but the majority of buyer went straight to him. It is the
only non-Canadian sheet that he did but he plans to re-run them even
over some of the well sought after ones like the CF-101s. He was
relucentent to do it at first until I threaten to call my loan to him,
it is still not settled today and I am too nice to push him and now I
just keep it to myself and a few friends who know the story between us,
I can say this as there might not be a Leading Edge if there were not a
Uncle Rick.
  I scanned a few images of my models to you before and I am sure you
got some of them including the F-4Gs. I just finished another 1/48 scale
as 69-0303, which was the one that had Pato O'Rorke name on the canopy.
I can do the photos of both  1/48 F-4G and a 1/72 to you before I take
them down to Boise later this year.
  I thankyou for your offer and kindness, I will take the photos the way
you suggested and send them to you. I just hope mine are good enough. 
  I do not surf the computer as much as I want but I have to say you
guys are great, I was tempted to send some more of my photos to you for
your walk-arounds, like A-6s or B-1, or close up of the A-10 from Boise,
especially the F-4G.
  Let me know 

Uncle Rick
Steve Bamford wrote:
> 
>    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>            Encoding: quoted-printable
.
  I took some scans of my Idaho F-4G and I will send them to you. 0298
was built last year and 303 was finished last month, not quite as I have
to paint the second name on the back canopy. both won second place in
our contest and the 303 also won the Best F-4 Phantom aponsored by me.
No, I let someone else choose the winner! 298 has a KMC cockpit set,
otherwise O.O.box; and was built  for lt.Col. Eddy 'Fast' Payne who
scored a sam kill (first for Idaho) while he was a Major in the
"southern Watch" mission after the Gulf war, (something that you do not
see on your evening news). 0298 was the last F-4G ( or any USAF F-4) to
take off from home field and last active to land at the boneyard. This
a/c marking was given in the decal sheet. 303 was straight O.O.Box and
is built for Col Patrick 'Pato" O'Rorke who is the co of 190th FG. His
name is on 303 but not done in the decal sheet so I have to draw them as
well as his partner's name. 
  I built a few of them in various scales, and all of them are in Boise
Idaho now. I do have a few of the decals with me as well as I have a
large collection of photos of the Idaho F-4Gs.
  I can fill in more information later.
  Thank you for you very kind words. I will send you some photos so you
can decide what to put on your F-4 walkaround, as well as a copy of the
decal. I probably do it after May 7 as i have to caech up with tax and
GST returns as well as going to 'whip some asses' in Saskatoon on May 6
for their first contest. I am still under doctor's care since 3 months
ago so ot really slows me down.

Uncle Rick 

Hi steve, 
  Just to make sure, did i send you a scan of the canopy area of 303
with the pilot and the canopy with Pato's name on it?
  Here's some scans. I also took images of Scott's 1/48 Classic airframe
Fairey Battle and  1/48 At-5, Chinese Mig-19 and 1/72 Academy Typhoon if
you are interested.
  Hope it does not crash your computer
-- 
Hi Steve,
  I caught the flu and because I was trying too hard to work with my
system down, almost kill nyself.
  I will talk to scott to do a little bit about his Battle.
  I will get my son to scan the decal which will be harder than to get
your address and send it to you! I need your address as I can not find
it.
  The boys from Saskatoon had been coming to calgary for the last 5
years and they have some very good modellers! I just go to show my
support and appreciations. I usually build my models fast, 7 days?! and
I usually win silvers with occassional golds, I think I fit into the
builders class, still not very good at trying to reach tje top. I will
build a model while I am sitting down one of these days as i do not have
a work table. I was told by a few to do so as my building habit is a
joke.
  I am back to my day time job as a driver but still not very well. I am
working on the F-15E now and even join the discussion in Hyperscale on
the subject.
  here are 2 more scans. Thankyou for your kindness again.

Uncle Rick.
=====================
Mig 15

  The method I used is very simple, You have to have a flat finish as
paint flows better on it, use a fine brush and dip thinned down black or
rust brown mix, as soon as it touch the panel lines, the capillary
action will draw the pait to run, just like that, I show it to a lots of
people including Mr. Walter Fink from IPMS Chicago who is a prominent
figure on the east coast. It sound easy but need practices. I usually
let the overflow strain stay as it looks like real fluid on the real
plane, any excessive paint can be gently brushed backward to creat the
airflow look.
  I hope I express myself right!
 
Once again Thankyou. I will scan my F-100 to you.

Uncle Rick  

Steve Bamford wrote:
> 
> How did you weather the rivets on the underside?
> 
> Steve Bamford
> Aircraft Resource center
> http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com
Hi Steve,
  You can see that I am well, kind of and back to my job, have not been
reading much on the net. I can understand that you are very busy so do
not worry as i do not get upset or anything like that if my work are not
shown. take your time. I hope to do more on the F-15E this weekend as I
have 7 daysand night workdays now to catch up for the last 3 months of
being sick.
  The F-4 photo of models are doubles so you do not have to send them
back to me, keep them or hang on to them as I have plans to come out to
Victoria this Sept. for the contest.
  The LE decals are nice and thin, so care have to be taken with a bit
of water when you put them on, the smoother the surface the better
result. It is very simple compare to most of the LE decals.
  I will really sit down and send you some photos for the F-4 walk
around, I promise. I cannot just send you the whole thing as it will be
a couple of boxes!
  thankyou for the good article.

Uncle Rick