Subject: Re: Articles for Airliner Pics
From: "Steve Bamford" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ted Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 01:57:47 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Johnston" <[email-masked]>
To: "Steve Bamford" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 9:14 PM
Subject: Articles for Airliner Pics

> Here is some text to go with the Airliner Pics you have taken for me. If
> you need anything else let me know. Thanks!
>
> ttyl Ted
>

Garuda Indonesia A300 in 1/200th Scale

Built by Ted Johnston

Photos by Steve Bamford

The Kit is an old Hasegawa kit the was boxed with Ward Air markings by
Shaben International out of Edmonton, I purchased it in Port Hardy for $8
Canadian which was a real score. There we no problems to speak of with the
assembly with just a little bit of sanding and filling required.

The fuselage was painted using Gunze Sangyo Paints, H1 Gloss White and H328
FS 15050 (Blue Angel Blue), the wings were painted with various gray and
silver enamels (whatever looked right!). I chose to paint over the
windscreen as a decals are supplied for it and windsheild wipers. Decals are
also supplied for the windows which are molded as holes in the fuselage, I
prefer to not use decals in this case and I find that I get a good effect by
painting the inside of the fuselage Gloss Black.

The decals are Liveries Unlimited Sheet A2-077 Garuda Indonesia A300s and
Liveries Unlimited AGAX-001 Engine Manufacturer Logos. I was apprehensive
about the Bird Logo as it was going over the Dark Blue Tail and I thought
the Blue would show through but this was unfounded as once I placed the
decal I could see that it was underprinted in white. Extra code letters are
supplied to allow you to do and one of Garuda Indonesia's A300s.

The runway base was quickly done up in about an hour, an Airline Pilot
freind pointed out the error in my ways as far as runway numbering goes, oh
well I will get it right next time! I find these days that models don't look
right unless they are posed on a base of some sort, it seems that this is
the norm these days.

I enjoyed building this kit very much, it took about two years to get around
to finishing it as it sat waiting for me to find an attractive set of
aftermarket decals for it, necessitated by the fact that  I borrowed the
Blue Stripes from the kit markings for another project. I was very pleased
with the Liveries Unlimited decals and rumour has it that a set for a Garuda
A330 are coming out in 1/144th scale which will be on my wishlist for future
projects.