Subject: Re: Airshow Models.com Christen Eagle Review
From: "Steve Bamford" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:27:12 -0800

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you have never been hurt; and
Dance like no one is watching!

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 12:03 PM
Subject: Airshow Models.com Christen Eagle Review

Hi Steve
My name is Clint Sims and I have just completed this 1/32 scale Christen
Eagle Aerobatic Biplane and I thought I might try submitting an article for
the Galley section.

Here it is. Let me know if you have any questions or if something doesn't
sound right. There should be about 12 jpgs I have listed through out the
story where they might appear.

Thanks
Clint

The airshow models.com Christen Eagle II
by Clint Sims

A little history
The Christen Eagle was introduced in 1978 by Frank Christen and set a new
standard for kit aircraft due to its very high quality and completeness.
When
I first saw it in 1980 I decided to scratch build one of my own in about
1/24
scale. I ordered the info pack that was offered at the time from Christen
Industries and a poster set. From this information I was able to build a
brass tube fuselage frame. This was about all the further I ever got on that
project since I decided there were other models I wanted to build in my life
time.
Ever since, I have collected pictures from magazines, and even taken a few
of
my own when I saw them at airshows. The Eagles Aerobatic Team was one of the
best in the World. Having seen the team perform many times in their single
place Eagle I aircraft, the action started right after take off with all
three aircraft doing a inside snap roll and the action didn't stop until
they
landed.

About nineteen years or so after that first project, I was at the Williams
Brothers website reading their message board when I came across a posting
that said anyone interested in aerobatic aircraft. It was from Pete Groves
the owner of Airshow Models.com explaining that he was going to be making
resin 1/32 scale aerobatic aircraft. In 2 seconds I was at the airshow
models
site looking at molds of what would soon become the Christen Eagle II kit. I
could not believe it! I contacted Pete about the kit and when it would be
out. I got the kit in June of this year and finished it on October 19th.

The kit
When I ordered the kit I thought "well its in resin and I will do what ever
I
can to make it look like a Christen Eagle". Having seen other resin kits
that
look like some kind of molding accident I didn't know what to expect, but
the
pictures he had sent to me of it setting together looked great. When I
opened
the kit box I was quite pleased to say the least. This in my opinion is what
a resin kit is suppose to look like. Clean crisp detail, almost no flash, 2
canopies, (in case you screw one up), white metal parts, a photo etched
sheet, complete instructions with history and decals for 2 different paint
schemes. Wow!

I started by assembling the fuselage and bottom wing together. Next came the
elevator. I cut the elevator at the hinge line to be reset later in the down
position. You will have to add some plastic scrap to the opening just after
the elevator on the fuselage. After the wing and elevator joint were filled
and sanded, I started on the cockpit. I decided that with such a large and
clear canopy, that I could assemble it in the closed position.

I added a few details of my own to the many that are in the kit. The first
was a canopy frame made from brass rod. This was made to fit the white metal
cross member and simulated canopy hinge that come with the kit (see photo 2
new plastic). Next I added a small lip of plastic around the canopy opening
to give the brass frame a place to sit. This also gave me something to glue
the canopy to. Next I cut and fitted the canopy to the opening.

On the real aircraft the canopy is made up of a one piece plexiglass unit,
set into a metal frame work, with a fiberglass skirt. The whole unit opens
to
the left side. I decided to simulate the skirt around the canopy with a thin
plastic sheet glued around the outside (see photo 3 canopy cover ). While
this was taped in position I decided to dry fit the rest of the kit. (see
photo 4 dry fit). After fitting all the pieces, they were removed and I
began
painting the cockpit.

I decided that I was going to model this Eagle after the first Christen
Eagle
built N2FC. Since this is the aircraft that appears in the info kit I bought
in 1981 it is the one I have the most documentation on. The cockpit of N2FC
is mostly flat black with only the seat cushions in a medium blue color. The
cockpits of Eagle IIs vary from builder to builder since it is a kit built
aircraft.

The kit includes the front and rear seat assembly, with seat belts molded
in,
canopy latch panels, throttle quadrants, and control sticks, I added a
manual
fuel pump to the bottom left of the back seat and various small info decals.
The kit comes with a great dashboard and decal for instruments. There are
also decals for the EXPERIMENTAL text that is on the right side of the
cockpit. (See photos 5 and 6). After a little dry brushing to bring out a
few
of the details I was ready to glue on the canopy and the new skirt I had
made.

Next I deepened the exhaust opening on the cowling and attached it to the
fuselage. This required a bit of sanding since the cowl is a bit wider than
the fuselage. The landing gear legs were next. After very little filling and
sanding I was ready to move on to the cabane struts.

When the kits were first done Pete e-mailed me and told me the kits were
ready to be shipped but he was just was not happy with the cabane struts and
how they were molded in white metal. I told him to send me the kit and I
would make my own. Which is what I did. This was kind of a blessing since I
was modeling the first Eagle built (N2FC) and it did not have a fairing at
the top of the cabane struts like the white metal part in the kit. I made my
own cabane struts and attachment points. It was at this time I final fit the
top wing and outer I struts. Next I fit and glued the wheel paints to the
landing gear.

Just a small note: Pete has sent, everyone who has bought a kit, brand new
brass parts to replace the white metal ones These new parts are much
stronger
and molded cleaner. This should give you some idea how committed, Pete
Groves
at Airshow Models.com, is to making a quality kit and making sure, you as
the
buyer, are happy with it. Thanks Pete!  (see photo 1 new brass parts)

After I assembled the prop blades to the spinner I added a cuff that is
around the opening of the spinner. This has now been added to the new
spinner
you get with the new metal parts. Next was final sanding and primer. When I
was satisfied with the finish of the primer I rescribed the panels lines
(not
too many of them) and got it ready for gloss white. (See photo 7).

After painting it all gloss white and letting dry for a few days, I was
ready
for the part I had been waiting for, decals. The decals are fantastic in
this
kit which is important since they cover at least 90% of the aircraft. They
lay down great and only need a bit of Solvaset on the leading edges to get
them to conform. I started with the bottom of the lower wing and elevator.
Next was the top of the bottom wing and elevator and fuselage sides. I
finished with applying the top wing decals after painting the I struts that
I
glued in. I made the registration numbers on the computer and printed them
on
decal paper along with new prop decals. The prop decals in the kit had a
yellow background instead of gold.

When the decals were completely dry, I touched up a few places with paint
and
gave it a coat of Testors gloss lacquer. I am not sure I would do this again
since the decals started to crinkle in some places. This fortunately went
away after the paint dried. Next time I will use future floor wax. After the
clear dried for about three days I used Novis plastic polish to buff out
everything. While polishing the top wing I decided to drive my finger nail
right into the top wing decal all the way down to primer. Many words were
said that I can repeat that night. I e-mailed Pete and he was able to send
me
new decals and a new top wing in case I needed it. What a life saver! Thanks
Pete. While waiting for the new decals I finished the prop and started
detailing the rest of the aircraft.

I had most of the white metal parts on the plane when I got the new brass
parts from Pete, which were shipped with the replacement decals. So I was
only able to make use of the new brass tail wheel assembly. After painting
it
white and detailing, it was glued on. A tailwheel control arm for the rudder
was made from plastic and connecting springs from a single strand of copper
wire. These details can be seen in the photo taken from behind. (see photo
8).

After the top wing was redone, all flying wires and details were added. The
kit gives you photoetch flying wires and javelin struts, which I though were
just a little too wide in width so I used guitar strings in two different
sizes for the flying wires and made my own javelin struts from plastic rod.
I
did use all the other photoetch parts, which include, aileron drive arms,
rudder drive cables and canopy handle. The last thing to add was the prop.
(see photos 9-12)

In conclusion this was one of the most satisfying kits I have ever built.
Will I build another one? You bet. Airshow models offers a conversion to
make
the single place Team Eagle and will soon be coming out with a S-2B Pitts
Special.

I would like to thank Pete Groves at Airshow Models.com for the parts, and
encouragement and Bill Cook for taking the pictures.