Subject: Re: More Carriers... 1/720 Scale USS Enterprise
From: "Steve Bamford" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 23:36:25 -0700

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you have never been hurt; and
Dance like no one is watching!

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 6:28 PM
Subject: More Carriers... 1/720 Scale USS Enterprise

>
> I noticed Dirks carrier Roosevelt and I would like to expand the carrier
> force by two.. here is my Revell 1/720 scale USS Enterprise CVN65.. it
took
> me a year to build this.  I am Bert Legaspi.
>
> My Article..
>
> A few years ago I was looking through fine scale modeller magazine  and
saw a
> 1/72 USS Enterprise and was awed by the workmanship.  Then some two years
> later I saw another USS Enterprise in 1/720 scale by Revell in her 1961
> configuration.  I was also awed at the work and decided to try and build a
> carrier.  Being a 1/48 scale aircraft guy and having limited experience in
> building ships I proceeded cautiously.  I decided that with my limited
space
> I have I would do a carrier in 1/720 scale.  I wanted to do the aircraft
> carrier Enterprise since my cousin was stationed aboard and I have been
> aboard a couple times.  I began with photos from various sources and then
my
> cousin let me borrow his cruise book.  1998 Desert Fox cruise was of
interest
> to me so I decided to build the Enterprise at that time.  This was January
of
> 2001.  The Revell kit is the only Enterprise kit in that scale around.  So
I
> bought alot of evergreen  and plastruct styrene rods and Goldmedal model
> photo etch sets.  Later I would get both Skywave and Fujimi aircraft sets
> along with a Skywave weapons set to detail out the ship.
>
> The biggest challenge of building the carrier was the island.  The Revell
kit
> has her older honeycomb-box structure.  The island was rebuilt in 1982 and
> along with the rest of the carrier has seen numerous changes since then.
I
> started with some plans using references from photos and cruisebooks and
the
> Tamiya 1/350 and ARII 1/800 scale models.  It took me three attempts
before I
> felt that the island was just right.  I made a makeshift low detail hanger
> bay.. really nothing detailed.  I completely removed the catwalks from the
> original kit and rebuilt them using the styrene.  Some of the sponsons
were
> borrowed from Italeri carrier kits and also all the liferaft capsules.
Other
> modifications were made included a new "bustier" upper bow and a stern
dock.
> Additional I had to add the arresting wires.  This was my real first time
> scratchbuilding alot of things and also doing some kitbashing.  The
"TILLY"
> crane has been updated.  Enterprise had participated in the opening
strikes
> against targets in Afganistan and conducted some 800 combat missions.
> Wanting to keep her up to  finished the model in as she was in her 2001
> Mediterranean/Persian Gulf/Arabian Gulf tour.
>