Subject: Re: A really big guy !! Airfix Stuka 1/24th
From: "Steve Bamford" <[email-masked]>
To: "Holger Papke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:04:51 -0700

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you have never been hurt; and
Dance like no one is watching!

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Holger Papke 
  To: Steve Bamford 
  Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2002 5:36 AM
  Subject: A really big guy !! Airfix Stuka 1/24th

  Hi Steve,

  here is my big "Stuka", I hope you like my review. I'm sure that you will find some
  errors because I'm german and my english is not the best. Please correct my
  mistakes :-). I attached a lot of pictures, feel free to use them as you like.

  sincerelly,

  Holger Papke
  Wallingford CT
  USA

  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Here's another one of the famous Airfix 1/24th scale series, the Junkers Ju 87 - B2.
  It's the biggest and most impressive kit in this line, the length is 463mm and the
  wingspan 574mm, so better prepare your shelf for this huge model. This model
  is built straigt OOB but it "begs" for more details and it would be nice to have
  a detailing set.

  This kit is more than 20 years old and the 344 pieces of this kit are still the same.
  As I built it the first time, it was in 1978, it came also with a little electric motor
  for the propeller and you where able to choose. The "real" plastic engine or the
  electric motor. The little display, that allows to show your model "flying" is still
  included but not the small electric motor.

  You have two different versions to build. The first one is the Ju87B-2, 9./St.G 1, St. Omer
  France, November 1940, flown by Oberleutnant Otto Blumers. The second version is the
  Ju87B-2/Trop, 4./St.G 2 "Immelmann", Tmimi Libya, June 1941.

  You start with the cockpit assembly, it's very easy and the parts go together very well.
  After that, you start to build the engine. It's a nice replica of the Junkers Jumo 211Da 
  but it's also very simple. The instructions for the engine assembly are a little bit confusing  
  and they should be more specific.
  The installation of both components to the fuselage is smooth (P001/P002).
  I decided to build the first "Battle of Britain" version and I used Tamiya acrylic colours for
  the paint. 

  Unfortunately the instruction book was not complete, it stops at chapter 43 and continues 
  at 63 and the pilots canopy was broken. I send a letter to Airfix three weeks ago but I'm
  still waiting. I fixed the canopy for the photos but it looks bad. It's the first time that I have
  a problem with an Airfix kit and I'm curious about how fast their "Flash service" is.

  The assembly of the engine cowling is a nightmare (P004/P005). You must be shure in
  advance what do you want to do. You can build it with a stripped or closed cowling. I tried
  to build a removable cowling but it doesn't work. So I decided to make only a removable
  hood.
  Another trap is the bomb under the fuselage. Make sure that you check the size of the fork
  and the mounting first before you continue.
  The installation and adjustment of the wing mount in the fuselage causes no problems also
  the size of the gull wing and the flaps is nearly perfect. 

  These kits are "pure fun", all the parts are so big, you're thinking about climbing in when you
  have finished these giant.

  From all the aircraft kits that you can buy are these the kind of model that gives you the best
  "look and feel". Also the price for these kits is very good, much aircraft for less money.

  I want to build the whole 1/24th series from Airfix, I hope to see you again soon.

  Holger