Subject: My B-1 is ready for you.
From: "Daniel Butcher" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:47:04 +0100

Hi Steve, hows it going?

I got the B-1 Review ready.

Ill atttach the article to this one, and send the images seperately.

Thanks,

Regards, Daniel.

___

Revell 1/48 B-1B Lancer
By Daniel Butcher

Construction begins typically with the cockpit section. The kit cockpit is 
very nicely detailed, the seats are ok and the cockpit panels are very 
nicely detailed, complete with radar screens and the artificial horizon 
display, which I painted in. The painting of gear sections, radar and the 
cockpit took me about a week! I shaded the instrument panel to show a little 
shadow here and there, and also did the same in the gear bays. However I 
fear I may loose some of this detail when the model is complete, although 
you can leave a crew hatch open on the top side of the plane to see inside.

I painted the inside of my burner cans with a matt white finish first, and 
over this is used brown and black watercolour paints to give the used feel 
to them, which I’m quite pleased with.

The nose radar was hard to find pictures of, so I used photos that people on 
the discussion board managed to find and the kit instructions to give a 
2-tone grey finish with gold and black parts. The cockpit was also hard to 
find reference photos for, so I used what I could find and made the rest up, 
not that it’s a particularly great error as you can’t see most of it.

The forward fuselage requires a 70gram noseweight, so I just stuck one 
packet of blu-tack in the nose, and wedged it in place with some bits of the 
spru I trimmed to size and glued in, so even if the blu loses its tack, it 
ain’t going nowhere!

The landing gear is very nicely detailed, I painted all the components white 
while they were on the spru, then assembled them before I gave them the 
usual watercolour wash, so that I could get visualise how the gear struts 
worked, and then weather them according to the walk-around pictures from 
this site. I had difficulty removing paint from all areas, which was going 
to be quite an obvious obstacle, so I just held the assembled parts under 
the tap for a few seconds; looks good to me!

The bomb bays were nicely detailed, as were the main gear wells. I weathered 
all of the components for these parts while on the spru, and I was so 
pleased with the results that I left one bomb bay empty, to show my 
weathering, the other two occupied by a fuel tank and a rack of missiles.

I read somewhere that the wings in this kit usually come warped because of 
their size, I had no such problems. There is a nasty gap under the wing at 
the joint for the flaps, but noting some filler can’t sort out.
After assembling these parts, I glued down the top and bottom halves of the 
centre fuselage, and this is where the kit turned nasty. It took 2 of us to 
hold the pieces while they were being taped up, and the area around the 
engines took a lot of effort to fit any thing like nicely. When the glue was 
dry the next day and the tape was removed, on one side of the plane I had a 
perfect join, the other there was about a 2mm overhang. Some sanding was 
required to say the least!

The engines are the worst area for fit I found. The top and bottom halves 
don’t fit too great, neither do the inside parts of the intake, and the 
front section is pretty poor, there was a fair amount of filler and sanding 
used on these areas.

Joining the 3 segments (nose, main and tail) of the fuselage together was 
pretty straight forward, a little sanding and filler was used on the forward 
section. Then attaching the main gear, pretty simple again, although I had 
trouble finding the fit, then I stumbled across some holes where you plug 
the gear into! D’oh!

Then it was basically done, final touches here and there, then time to do 
some serious painting - 2 coats of Humbrol 125 Satin, then a layer of gloss, 
and then some decals. Then I had enough varnish for a single coat of Matt 
varnish – it’s still in need of a second, but college is in the way at the 
moment. I will send in some more detail shots, and ones with the second coat 
of varnish when it is done.

Thanks to Will Snuggs for lending me his digital camera for the pics – it’s 
too big to get in the shop!

Hope you enjoy my model seeing my model as much as I enjoyed making it.

Daniel.

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx