Subject: Re: ARC gallery submission
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mark Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:28:24 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Miller" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 1:33 PM
Subject: ARC gallery submission

> [Note: I am including a text file attachment, in case you prefer, and
> also pasting the text in here.]
>
>
> Steve B.,
>
> Have made adjustment to the #09 template. I have 9 images but are spaced
> differently, and two are right-aligned (have made an editorial note to
> you where that happens). The rest is pretty basic.
>
> -Mark M.
>
> ********************************************
>
> Gallery Template #09 (MODIFIED)
>
> "1/72 Italeri Petlyakov Pe-2"
>
> by "Mark Miller"
> --------------------
>
> Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
>
>
> Many people know about the Pe-2. It was probably the best bomber the
> Soviets had during World War 2. It was a marvel of its time, built
> completely out of metal when the call was put out to use as much wood as
> possible (to save the scarce resources) and being a modern marvel with
> the inclusion of electronics. Originally conceived as a high-altitude
> interceptor, the role it was designed for never became a priority.
> Later, the Pe-2 did become the Pe-3, a fighter variant.
>
> For me this was one of those models you just set your sights on and have
> to get. A pal from the ARC forums donated a photo etch set for me to use
> (also my first use of PE ever). I was originally thinking of going with
> Zvezda, but had heard from many people that the decals on the Italeri
> kit were much better. However, I've also heard that the Zvezda kit had
> two beam guns for the windows on each side of the radio room. The
> Italeri kit did not, which is strange, since the entire kit is molded
> onto one sprue (yes, you heard that right!).
>
> On to the kit! One word: Sweet! 1/72 never looked so good! This is a
> marvel of a kit. That's probably why it is still around. It has raised
> panel lines in places (where most panel lines would be) and recessed in
> others (mostly flaps and control surfaces). The caveat is that the
> raised panel lines are as small as strands of hair, and you'd be insane
> to sand them off and scribe panels in their place. It would be like
> painting a smiley face over the Mona Lisa. The pieces are very finely
> molded, and you will notice it. The kit-supplied turret machine gun is
> molded in plastic, but looks delicate enough to be made from metal. The
> dive brakes (which I left off, because many were modified to remove
> them) are also finely crafted. The kit supplies wheel doors that are in
> the closed position, and you must cut them in half to open them. I make
> a habit of doing gear down, so I learned that the wheel wells are pretty
> sad. But, better than nothing, I suppose. Fit wise, for the most part,
> this kit is pretty standard. You've got a bit of work here and there,
> but all in all fairly easy. The problem I found was with the clear
> parts. They didn't fit very well. The upper turret is too small for the
> frame, but the cockpit piece is just a bit too large for the frame. The
> bomb-aimer windows were really hard to fit into place properly, and the
> dorsal and ventral radio room windows didn't want to fit well either.
> The windows and the fuselage are beveled, so when you put then in on the
> inside they sit instead of falling through. The problem is the bevel is
> off, and the windows are set inside the surface of the outer skin.
> You'll note my beam windows (each side of the radio room) are painted
> over. I learned that the beam guns were ditched in the field, often, and
> the windows painted over. When in Rome, as they say.
>
>
> Click on images below to see larger images
>
> Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 02.jpg
> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
> photo 02.jpg
>
>    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
> 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized
> version of photo 03.jpg
>
>
>
> I had a few minor problems with parts of the kit. It has 2-3 large
> sinkholes in the outer surface of each fuselage half. These definitely
> need to be filled. The oil cooler intakes didn't line up perfectly to
> each other, and you have to do a little bit of carving. There was for
> the most part very little flash on the sprue, but that little amount was
> spread onto many pieces (so a lot of pieces had a little flash).
>
>    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
> 04.jpg right aligned with the following paragraph (alongside it)
> Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
04.jpg
>
>    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
> 05.jpg right aligned with the following paragraph (alongside it and
> below 04.jpg -- in the same table)  Clicking on that photo will bring up
> the full sized version of photo 05.jpg
>
> [ed. note: Those two images will be stacked, both right aligned with the
> paragraph around it, as has been done on other ARC gallery entries]
>
>
>
> I followed the painting instructions as-is, for the most part. It
> presents a very trim model. The cockpit wanted to have two decals on the
> split instrument console. Luckily my photo=etch had two covers instead.
> Not highly detailed, but better than decals! The kit has lots of room
> for super-detailing, such as drilling out the intakes on the side of the
> engine nacelles, a radio room just begging to be scratch built, a lower
> gun position that's closed and nonexistent can be opened up, and more.
> The photo-etch kit supplies the basic external fixes: You get rid of the
> horrid oil cooler vents on the top of the wings and replace them with PE
> grills; you replace the criss-cross bomb fins with PE box-like ones;
> instrument panels were added, as were rudder pedals; new tail doors were
> added, although I'm not sure why, as the original plastic doors would
> have done nicely.
>
> I made some mistakes here and there and I was forced to brush paint this
> kit. It's done entirely with free-hand brush painting. Don't put the
> propellers onto the spinner hubs until you're ready (rookie mistake, I
> know!). For the paint, I chose the scheme of the better decal set. I
> liked the multi-color star (What, I think it's called the Moscow Star,
> or something?). I was also able to find some *ahem*... reference
> photos... of the aircraft as well! Amazing, no, how my model looks so
> much like it, eh? (see below)
>
> I don't think the colors are accurate, but I tried to match as best as I
> could. It's fairly close, and looks the part. I'm happy with it. I used
> MM acrylic Lichtblau for the underside. I felt it was close enough to
> the "light blue" the instructions called for. Note: also the interior
> color (as called for in instructions). When I was done I remembered
> seeing a reference where there were heavy stains coming out of the oil
> cooler vents (foggy white-ish) and thin stains trailing from the
> exhausts (dark and smokey) -- I think I got this from the IL-2 demo --
> so I decided to weather it a bit. I'm not the best weather person there
> is (or anywhere near it) so I tried some acrylics, and thinned them with
> acrylic thinner. I'm not sure if the result is realistic or not, and to
> me looks a tad over-done, but it was a learning experience. I think I'd
> like to do this model again some time. I've got a wicked set of winter
> camo references which are just begging for experimentation.
>
>
> Click on images below to see larger images
>
> Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg
> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
> photo 06.jpg
>
>   Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg
> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
> photo 07.jpg
>
>
> Oh, and one major, horrible, completely disastrous problem: The mast
> isn't strong enough (by far) to hold even the slightest tension of a
> rigged wire. I had a wire too! I was going to give it a shot! Alas, this
> piece is so delicate it broke off no less than half a dozen times (the
> last time being snapped in half as well). I did my best to hide the
> scars, but it'll never hold up to a radio wire. Next time I'll try
> something else.
>
> Here are those two reference photos I promised you, as well! The first
> illustrates a fly-by of the aircraft on take-off. During the same
> sortie, the flight was recalled, and the bombers came back with a full
> load. This particular craft hit an air pocket on approach and nosed down
> slightly. It was able to recover and landed safely. Yeah.. That's what
> happened. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
>
>
> Click on images below to see larger images
>
> Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg
> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
> photo 08.jpg
>
>    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
> 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized
> version of photo 09.jpg
>
>
>
> Photos and text © 2003 by Mark Miller
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Steve B.,

Have made adjustment to the #09 template. I have 9 images but are spaced
differently, and two are right-aligned (have made an editorial note to you
where that happens). The rest is pretty basic.

-Mark M.

********************************************

Gallery Template #09 (MODIFIED)

"1/72 Italeri Petlyakov Pe-2"

by "Mark Miller"
--------------------

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here

Many people know about the Pe-2. It was probably the best bomber the Soviets
had during World War 2. It was a marvel of its time, built completely out of
metal when the call was put out to use as much wood as possible (to save the
scarce resources) and being a modern marvel with the inclusion of
electronics. Originally conceived as a high-altitude interceptor, the role
it was designed for never became a priority. Later, the Pe-2 did become the
Pe-3, a fighter variant.

For me this was one of those models you just set your sights on and have to
get. A pal from the ARC forums donated a photo etch set for me to use (also
my first use of PE ever). I was originally thinking of going with Zvezda,
but had heard from many people that the decals on the Italeri kit were much
better. However, I've also heard that the Zvezda kit had two beam guns for
the windows on each side of the radio room. The Italeri kit did not, which
is strange, since the entire kit is molded onto one sprue (yes, you heard
that right!).

On to the kit! One word: Sweet! 1/72 never looked so good! This is a marvel
of a kit. That's probably why it is still around. It has raised panel lines
in places (where most panel lines would be) and recessed in others (mostly
flaps and control surfaces). The caveat is that the raised panel lines are
as small as strands of hair, and you'd be insane to sand them off and scribe
panels in their place. It would be like painting a smiley face over the Mona
Lisa. The pieces are very finely molded, and you will notice it. The
kit-supplied turret machine gun is molded in plastic, but looks delicate
enough to be made from metal. The dive brakes (which I left off, because
many were modified to remove them) are also finely crafted. The kit supplies
wheel doors that are in the closed position, and you must cut them in half
to open them. I make a habit of doing gear down, so I learned that the wheel
wells are pretty sad. But, better than nothing, I suppose. Fit wise, for the
most part, this kit is pretty standard. You've got a bit of work here and
there, but all in all fairly easy. The problem I found was with the clear
parts. They didn't fit very well. The upper turret is too small for the
frame, but the cockpit piece is just a bit too large for the frame. The
bomb-aimer windows were really hard to fit into place properly, and the
dorsal and ventral radio room windows didn't want to fit well either. The
windows and the fuselage are beveled, so when you put then in on the inside
they sit instead of falling through. The problem is the bevel is off, and
the windows are set inside the surface of the outer skin. You'll note my
beam windows (each side of the radio room) are painted over. I learned that
the beam guns were ditched in the field, often, and the windows painted
over. When in Rome, as they say.

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 02.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 02.jpg

  Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
03.jpg

I had a few minor problems with parts of the kit. It has 2-3 large sinkholes
in the outer surface of each fuselage half. These definitely need to be
filled. The oil cooler intakes didn't line up perfectly to each other, and
you have to do a little bit of carving. There was for the most part very
little flash on the sprue, but that little amount was spread onto many
pieces (so a lot of pieces had a little flash).

  Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg
right aligned with the following paragraph (alongside it)  Clicking on that
photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg

  Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg
right aligned with the following paragraph (alongside it and below 04.jpg --
in the same table)  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized
version of photo 05.jpg

[ed. note: Those two images will be stacked, both right aligned with the
paragraph around it, as has been done on other ARC gallery entries]

I followed the painting instructions as-is, for the most part. It presents a
very trim model. The cockpit wanted to have two decals on the split
instrument console. Luckily my photo=etch had two covers instead. Not highly
detailed, but better than decals! The kit has lots of room for
super-detailing, such as drilling out the intakes on the side of the engine
nacelles, a radio room just begging to be scratch built, a lower gun
position that's closed and nonexistent can be opened up, and more. The
photo-etch kit supplies the basic external fixes: You get rid of the horrid
oil cooler vents on the top of the wings and replace them with PE grills;
you replace the criss-cross bomb fins with PE box-like ones; instrument
panels were added, as were rudder pedals; new tail doors were added,
although I'm not sure why, as the original plastic doors would have done
nicely.

I made some mistakes here and there and I was forced to brush paint this
kit. It's done entirely with free-hand brush painting. Don't put the
propellers onto the spinner hubs until you're ready (rookie mistake, I
know!). For the paint, I chose the scheme of the better decal set. I liked
the multi-color star (What, I think it's called the Moscow Star, or
something?). I was also able to find some *ahem*... reference photos... of
the aircraft as well! Amazing, no, how my model looks so much like it, eh?
(see below)

I don't think the colors are accurate, but I tried to match as best as I
could. It's fairly close, and looks the part. I'm happy with it. I used MM
acrylic Lichtblau for the underside. I felt it was close enough to the
"light blue" the instructions called for. Note: also the interior color (as
called for in instructions). When I was done I remembered seeing a reference
where there were heavy stains coming out of the oil cooler vents (foggy
white-ish) and thin stains trailing from the exhausts (dark and smokey) -- I
think I got this from the IL-2 demo -- so I decided to weather it a bit. I'm
not the best weather person there is (or anywhere near it) so I tried some
acrylics, and thinned them with acrylic thinner. I'm not sure if the result
is realistic or not, and to me looks a tad over-done, but it was a learning
experience. I think I'd like to do this model again some time. I've got a
wicked set of winter camo references which are just begging for
experimentation.

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg

 Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
07.jpg

Oh, and one major, horrible, completely disastrous problem: The mast isn't
strong enough (by far) to hold even the slightest tension of a rigged wire.
I had a wire too! I was going to give it a shot! Alas, this piece is so
delicate it broke off no less than half a dozen times (the last time being
snapped in half as well). I did my best to hide the scars, but it'll never
hold up to a radio wire. Next time I'll try something else.

Here are those two reference photos I promised you, as well! The first
illustrates a fly-by of the aircraft on take-off. During the same sortie,
the flight was recalled, and the bombers came back with a full load. This
particular craft hit an air pocket on approach and nosed down slightly. It
was able to recover and landed safely. Yeah.. That's what happened. (That's
my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg

  Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
09.jpg

Photos and text © 2003 by Mark Miller