Subject: Re: SU-27 Flanker entry for ARC
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:22:32 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 9:13 PM
Subject: SU-27 Flanker entry for ARC

> "1/48 Academy SU-27 Flanker B "Red14" Kilp-Yavr AB, Russian Federation"
>
> by "E.J. DeVivo"
> --------------------
>
> Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here (put
01.jpg here, & 02 as large images please)
>
> Items used:
> NeoMega custom cockpit set
> Flankers on Patrol decal sheets by Linden Hill Imports
> SU-27 wheel set provided by Linden Hill Imports
> Eduard photo etch set
>
> Let me start by saying Guy from Linden Hill Imports is a great source of
information for Russian aircraft and gets merchandise to you amazingly fast.
http://www.lindenhillimports.com/  The cockpit set by NeoMega was an
absolute gem to work with. No sanding or cutting whatsoever, just amazing
crisp detail right out of the box. I really can't figure out why the other
companies just don't make these tubs fit into the kits rather than having us
sand, grind and get resin particles inside our lungs!  The set included the
cockpit tub, front and side panels and K-36DM ejection seat. ( put 14.jpg
here ) It's the best one I&#8217;ve seen so far. The image I attached is of
NeoMega's SU-27UB cockpit set, another flanker project of mine but it gives
you the idea of what it looks like OOB. ( put 13.jpg here)  I started by
airbrushing the tub, front and side panels flanker blue by Model Master. I
lightened it just a slight bit to contrast the knobs and switches. The LCD's
and readouts were painted gloss black with a fine brush and I dabbed a drop
of future on each readout when dried. The entire cockpit took about 5 days
or so, putting in an hour here and there.  (put 06.jpg here, & 07, 08 & 09)
>
> The cockpit attached to the underside of the top half with no effort at
all. There is a lower rear portion that had to be sanded on an angle to
allow the lower half to properly meet the top portion, this took all but 1
minute. (put 19.jpg here)
>
>  The Academy kit is great with the exeption of the missiles. They
aren&#8217;t accurate at all. Their are a couple of companies that provide
missiles for the Flanker and MiG aircraft but not to many. It's much easier
getting weapons for our Tomcat or Strike Eagle. The kit really didn't
require that much sanding at all. A few spots here and there but nothing
major. (put 20.jpg here) I really liked the way the kit is built where you
have two large pieces, top and bottom. After sanding was complete, I
airbrushed a coat of grey primer, waited a few days then airbrushed the
entire model Flanker blue. I deviated slightly from the standard flanker
theme and added some gray to the aircraft, then went on to finish the camo
in Flanker medium blue. It gets a little tricky here because the Model
Masters Flanker Med. blue is to dark and it must be toned down. I mixed a
little bit of gray-white with it and practiced on an older model. I did the
tail fins as separate pieces and attached them at the very end. I'm glad I
did it this way because the starboard fin needs some taping on the inside
and out. I used Yefim Gordons "Flankers The New Generation" for reference.
Good publication, it shows early prototypes and several different types of
weapons that I&#8217;ve never seen before. Pretty cool book.  (put 15.jpg
here)
>
> I used model master metalizer burnt metal for the engines and burnt iron
for the exhaust nozzles. ( put 04.jpg here)
>
> Work is needed on the front landing gear lights. The kit doesn&#8217;t
include anything, your on your own with this. Your provided with two flat
pieces of plastic for the lens housing.  My man Doug Shey from Warrick
Hobbies showed me a cool trick where you mix apoxy cement, drop it in the
spot where you want and its like concrete within a few hours. Because its so
thick, it lays just right and takes the form of a lens. I drilled out the
plastic piece in a semi-circular sphere as told by Kaan Gok,   painted the
inside chrome silver then added the apoxy. Thanks to Doug & Kaan.  (  put
18.jpg here)
>
> I used Linden Hills Flankers on Patrol decals, and they were beautiful. A
perfect set of directions in the form of a small packet accompanies these
vivid decals. ( put 21.jpg here)
>
> Weathering was kept to a minimum. I accented the panel lines with pastel
chalk by mixing with water and a little dishwashing detergent. After
painting was complete, I applied a clear coat over the model to prepare it
for decaling and weathering. I brushed in all the panel lines, waited a half
hour or so then wiped off the excess. It came out ok, but looked much to
dirty. Would have looked awesome on an F-14 but not an SU-27. SO, I wiped
off most of the weathering leaving just so much as to see some panel lines.
I added some brush strokes to the wing and elevator flaps, and other areas
where oil and fuel would blow off. ( put 03.jpg & 5 here)
>
> Like most kits, there is a big seam running down the middle of the canopy
that must be removed. I sanded it using an extra fine sanding stick. If any
of you guys do this, don&#8217;t panic after you see all the buff marks you
put on that crystal clear canopy. I put a little polish on it and rubbed it
for about five minutes or so and it looked great.
>
> This is my last project for a while. I live in South Florida and do this
out of my garage. It is really hot down here now! Working in the garage in
this heat and humidity really makes me want to live in an igloo.
>
> So I'll probably start up again in late Sept. or early Oct., whichever
cools first. I have an F-14D, F-15E and SU27UB kits sitting in my closet
waiting. (  put 10.jpg, 11 & 12 here)
>
> I hope you enjoyed this article, any questions please feel free to contact
me.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Photos and text © 2003 by "E.J. DeVivo"
>
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----