Subject: Re: 1/72 Italeri HS-129 build
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Tom Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:26:49 -0700

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you have never been hurt; and
Dance like no one is watching!

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Murphy <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Bamford <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 3:24 PM
Subject: Fw: 1/72 Italeri HS-129 build

>
>
> > Steve,
> >   I hope your Summer is going well, and you're catching up on family
time.
> > Another submission, photos 5 and 6 are my choice for the large ones.  I
> know what you mena about
>    the e-mail.  I had several "so big" e-mails earlier this week,
> fortunately the Norton program stopped them.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Murph
> >
> >
> > THE AIRCRAFT
> >
> >   The HS-129 achieved the distinction of being the only WW II aircraft,
> and
> > one of the few in history, specifically designed for the anti-armor
role.
> > Initially flying in prototype form in 1939, it never achieved the
results
> > envisioned for it, because of it's relatively low production (only 870
> total
> > produced) and high attrition rates.  As designed, the HS-129 had several
> > limitations and features, some of which were strikingly similar to those
> of
> > the
> > modern A-10.  It was always underpowered, like the Hog.  It also had
> > mediocre maneuverability, and engine reliability problems only made
these
> > problems worse.  Some of its unique features were a cockpit that was so
> > small the engine instruments had to be mounted on the sides of the
engine
> > nacelles, and the gunsight placed in front of the windscreen.  The
cockpit
> > was heavily armored, and the main wheels only partially retracted to
> > minimize damage in a wheels up landing, also like the A-10.  It also
> carried
> > a large caliber anti tank gun, sound familiar?  In this case, though,
the
> > gun was underneath the fuselage.  The particular version I elected to
> model
> > is the Hs 129B-3/Wa.  This is one of the better known variants, because
of
> > the large 75mm PaK-40 anti-tank cannon carried under the fuselage.  The
> > PaK-40 could penetrate 133mm of armor at a range of 1000 meters and
> carried
> > 26 rounds.  The addition of this large weapon meant that the two
fuselage
> > mounted MG17's were removed and their troughs faired over.  It also
meant
> > that the carrying aircraft became almost unmanageable due to the
weapon's
> > weight and severe recoil; in fact, in an emergency the gun pod could be
> > jettisoned.  Only two units received this version for operational use in
> the
> > winter of 1944/45: 10.(Pz)/Sch.G.9 and 14.(Pz)/Sch.G.9.  It was an
> aircraft
> > from this last unit that I elected to model.
> >
> >
> > THE MODEL
> >
> >    Italeri has released a couple of kits covering the differently armed
> > versions of the HS-129.  In detailing this is a typical Italeri kit with
> > recessed panel lines which are slightly on the deep side.  The fit
> > throughout was excellent, and the need for filler non-existent.
> > Construction started with the cockpit, and since the kit's version was
so
> > plain I substituted the Hi Tech resin version instead. This is pretty
much
> a
> > drop in affair, the only unusual aspect of it being the seat back, which
> is
> > vac formed.  Once the seat back was cut out and glued to the seat base
> with
> > CA, the whole assembly was sprayed with Polly Scale RLM-02, detailed
with
> > decals and paint, then inserted into the fuselage.  The fuselage halves
> went
> > together with no problem, as did the wings, Tenax being the glue of
> choice.
> > When working on the wings, the engine nacelles are separate parts, and I
> > detailed their bare interiors with styrene strip and some spare resin.
> The
> > wings
> > and horizontal tail planes were now attached, along with the gun pod
which
> > had the resin replacement added for the gun muzzle.  There are some
parts
> to
> > be careful of when handling the kit; the aileron hinges and pitot tube
in
> > particular can be fragile, so they were left off till right before
> painting.
> > Finally the gun fairing was applied, and the gun sight was attached, but
> the
> > sight "glass" was left off till after all painting was done.
> >
> >
> > DECALING AND FINISHING
> >
> >      After the wheel wells were stuffed with tissue paper and the canopy
> > masked with Tamiya tape, Gunze RLM 65 Hellblau (H 067) was sprayed on
the
> > under surfaces first, then masked off.  Aeromaster RLM 71 Dunkelgrun
> (#1024)
> > was then sprayed and, again, masked off in a splinter pattern.  Finally
> > Gunze RLM 70 Schwarzgrun (#1023) was applied to the upper surfaces and
the
> > and propellers to complete the camouflage.  Future was applied as a
> > gloss coat, and after it had dried for twenty four hours, decaling
began.
> > Super Scale decal set # 72-710 was used; It actually dupicates the kit
> > markings, but it is thinner and easier to work with.  The most difficult
> > part were the fuselage codes, which on the real aircraft consisted of a
> > newer set applied over an older, faded set.  To simulate that fading I
> first
> > applied the original codes and let them dry.  I then misted several
highly
> > thinned coats of the base paints over them to get the look I was after.
> > More Future was applied, then the second set of codes.  The rest of the
> > decals went on with no problem including ones to simulate the engine
> > instruments on the inside of the engine nacelles, then another coat of
> > Future was applied to seal them.  Weathering was done using artist's oil
> > paints on the control surfaces.  Since this was presumably an older
> aircraft
> > (as shown by the faded, painted over codes) I really should have
weathered
> > the whole model more extensively with the oils, not just the control
> > surfaces, but laziness won out.  Polly Scale matte coat was applied and
> > loose items were attached.  These consisted mainly of the gear doors and
> the
> > gunsight "glass."  The doors were added with CA glue, while Elmers white
> > glue was used for the gunsight.  Some more weathering was done at this
> point
> > using charcoal, and exhaust stains were applied using gray, black, and
> brown
> > paints mixed together.  Italeri's kit is a simple, easy to build, well
> > produced replica of this relatively unknown, but pioneering aircraft.
> >
> >
> >
>