Subject: Re: Huey Model Gallery Article
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:44:39 -0800

Hi Simon,
Good to see your latest work.  Thanks for sending in your Huey article.
Articles usually get on ARC within about 3  weeks from the day they are sent
in.  Your Huey came out looking quite nice.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 8:24 AM
Subject: Huey Model Gallery Article

> Steve,
>
> Gallery Article for you.  You previously published my loach article a
couple of years ago.  i am a bit of a slow model builder!!!
>
> Keep up the good work.
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon
>
> PS - can you use my hotmail email address on the article -
[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Gallery Template #05
>
> 1/35 Panda Huey UH-1H
>
> by Simon Alder
>
> Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
>
>
> The ubiquitous Bell UH-1 Huey needs no introduction.  The work-horse of
the US Army in the Vietnam War was used in its thousands.
>
> Until recently, there was no 1/35 scale Huey available (although there has
been a Revell 1/32 scale UH-1H on the market for the past 20 odd years).
This has all changed with the release of the UH-1D in 1/35 scale by Panda
Models of Hong Kong.
>
> The model has come in for some criticism.  It is essentially a scaled-up
version of the Italeri 1/48 Huey and lacks some of the finesse of a
completely new tooled 1/35 kit.  It is particularly heavy-handed in some
areas, such as the size of the rivets which are way over-scale.  However, I
couldn't wait to get my hands on it - being something of a Vietnam
Helicopter enthusiast.  Panda have released two versions of the UH-1D - "1st
Cavalry" and "Wasp".  I have built the 1st Cav version  although in truth
the only difference between the kits is the decals.
>
> The kit is built OOB - I am something of a slow model builder and wanted
to finish the kit as quickly as possible (errr.. it still took me about 6
months) without worrying about after-market detailing (plus there wasn't
much around when I started the kit).  The kit is actually of a UH-1H rather
than a UH-1D, the UH-1D has a nose-mounted pitot tube and different shaped
blade antenna on the roof.  The kit also includes cable cutters and an
additional antenna which should be left off if you intend to build a Vietnam
era Huey.
>
>
>
> Click on images below to see larger images
>
> Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
03.jpg
>
>
>
>  Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
04.jpg
>
>
>
> Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
05.jpg
>
>
>
> I painted my Huey using Tamiya acrylics.  I wanted to show a fair amount
of weathering as I enjoy this stage of modelling the most.  Weathering
consisted of pre-shading followed by air brushing olive drab thinned from
the jar.  The olive drab was then lightened with some white and this was
airbrushed in the centre of all panels.  Klear (UK version of Future) was
applied to the model and after a week or so, a dark green oil wash applied.
I found the decals to be terrible; they were very thick and required a lot
of setting solution for them to bed down.  I didn't apply the crossed sabres
to the front of the huey as I am intending to use it on another Vietnam-era
helo (probably a Loach).
>
> Once finished I noticed that the model doesn't sit properly and probably
could have done with some weight at the front.  Apart from that, I am happy
with it, and not too worried about the lack of finesse/rivets etc.  It looks
like a Huey to me and it is in the right scale - 1/35!!  I realised after
taking the photos that I forgot to add the FM antenna on the tail (oops!!).
>
> I've another 1/35 UH-1D(H) on the shelf (the Wasp version) and have the
Panda UH-1N on order.  I have also bought the Cobra Company detail set for
the UH-1D/H (well worth getting - it is superb) for my next attempt at a
UH-1D - this time it will be super-detailed (and probably take me about 6
years!!!).
>
> I've included a photo of the Huey next to my OH-6A Loach (a bit dusty from
being displayed for the last couple of years!!).  It is interesting to note
the difference in the olive drab colour between the Huey (Tamiya) and Loach
(Gunze Sanyo Aqueous Hobby Color).
>
>
>
>
> Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
>
>
> Photos and text © 2003 by Simon Alder
>
>