Subject: ARC IAF 56 anniversary article - Delta winged fighters by Yoav Efrati
From: "Yoav Efrati" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:51:14 +0200

ARC IAF 56 anniversary article - Delta winged fighters

Article, models and photos by Yoav Efrati 

The IAF was first introduced to the Mach 2 fighter club in April of 1962
with the introduction of the Mirage IIIC.  Until the introduction of the
medium-high altitude SAM-3 into the middle east theater of operations after
the 1967 war, the Mirage IIIC retained its highly polished aluminum finish.
So high was the importance placed on the polish of these fighters, that
their junior mechanics were unable to leave base for the weekend until their
assigned Mirage was sparkling. 

SEE PHOTOS 1 & 2 of First Fighter squadron Mirage IIIc no.59 which was the
first Mirage in the world to score an air to air kill - a Syrian MiG-21F-13.

 

With introduction of the SAM-3, new low altitude flight profiles were
introduced to the Mirage IIIc. The camouflage adopted was the same used on
attack planes after the IDF captured the Sinai desert; making use of
f.s.34227 green, f.s.30219 brown and f.s.33531 sand over f.s.35622 light
blue colors.

SEE PHOTOS 3 & 4 of Bat squadron Mirage IIIc no.766.

1967 War losses were to be made up with the purchase of 50 improved range 

Mirage V aircraft. These airplanes were awaiting delivery when on June 5,
1967 the IAF launched operation "Moked" that destroyed the Egyptian air
force within 3 hours. The embargo place on Mirage V delivery did not include
spare parts, so Mirage V assembly rigs, fuselage sub components quietly made
their way from France to Israel. As for the engine, the improve Atar 9c
being produced under license in Swissland. Gentle persuasion of the Mosad of
an engineer at the plant led to the delivery of production drawings of this
engine. Soon after, the entire Mirage V was being manufactured at Israel
Aircraft Industries. The new Israeli built fighter was given the name Nesher
which in Hebrew translates to Eagle. That's why IAF F-15 were named after
the "Baz" falcon and not Eagle.

SEE PHOTOS 5 & 6 of First Fighter squadron Nesher no.18. On the 9th day of
the 1973 Yom Kippur war, Libyan air force Mirage V aircraft began ground
attack operations against IDF forces making their way across to the Egyptian
side of the Suez Canal. To differentiate between IAF delta fighters and the
Libyan Mirages, IAF applied yellow and black identification triangles on the
vertical fin and wings of all of its fighters. Several days later, Hornet
squadron pilot flying First Figher squadron Nesher no.18 downed a Libyan
Mirage V. 

At the same time Israel Aircraft Industries were building the Mirage V,
efforts were made to fit the F-4E Phantom's J79 engine into the Mirage
airframe. These efforts culminated in development of the Kfir fighter. First
introduce in 1976, the Kfir soon exhibited poor low speed maneuverability
characteristics. These characteristics were improved with the introduction
of outboard wing leading edge extensions and intake mounted winglets. These
fighters were transferred to the US Navy in the mid-80's and were given the
US fighter designation of F-21A.

SEE PHOTOS 7 & 8 showing the Mid Land squadron that was the last squadron to
operate this version of the Kfir in the IAF prior to their transfer to VF-41
US Navy aggressor squadron.

New built Kfir airframes had additional intake rib reinforcements which
enabled fitting of longer winglets called canards. In addition to the
canards, the aircraft was fitted with Rafel development agency Python III IR
guided air to air missiles. These air to air optimized Kfirs were given the
model designation C2. Serving alongside the F-15 Baz, these Kfirs were
painted in Compass Ghost Gray colors of f.s.36375 and f.s.36320.

SEE PHOTOS 9 & 10 show First Fighter squadron Kfir C2 no.874 that was the
only Kfir to down an aircraft in IAF service.

As Atar 9 equipped Mirage operations were winding down and the airplanes
sold to Argentina in the early 1980's a two seat Mirage/Nesher trainer
replacement was needed. To meet this requirement, IAI developed the Kfir
TC-2. The airplane retained full capabilities of the Kfir C2 without
compromising internal fuel capability by moving all the avionics and air
conditioning equipment fwd to the exceptionally long nose section.

 

SEE PHOTOS 11 & 12 showing Parrot squadron Kfir C2.

As F-16A/B Netz squadrons proved their low end air to air supremacy during
the first three day of the June 1982 Lebanon war by downing over 50 Syrian
fighers, the Kfir C2's air to air roll came to an end. To improve the Kfir's
air to ground attack capabilities, it was fitted with a Pave Penny pod which
gave it Laser Guided Bombing capability. For this new ground attack roll, it
was painted in the same camouflage colors as applied to IAF F-16's
consisting of f.s.33531 sand, f.s.34424 green, f.s.30219 brown with an
f.s.36375 light ghost gray undersurface. IAF delta wing fighter operations
came to an end in 1994 with the delivery of USAF surplus block 15 F-16A's
which replaced the Kfir C7.

Photos 13 & 14 show Keepers of the Arava squadron Kfir C7 no.543 which has
the name "Zohar" (Glow) applied to both sides of the nose.