August 1990, the Royal Air Force deployed twelve of its GR1A Jaguars from RAF
Coltishall to Thumrait, Oman. While there they guarded against Iraqi aggression
into Saudi Arabia. As part of their training, Jaguar pilots practiced low
level tactics to avoid the Iraqi SAM threat. In October, the Jaguar force
moved to Muharraq, Bahrain. Unfortunately in November, a Jaguar along with its
pilot was lost when the aircraft flew into a ridge during low level training.
Just prior to the war, Jaguar crews began medium level training having
concluded that low level tactics were unnecessary to defeat the SAM threat.
While Tornados flew primarily at night, the Jaguars flew by day. Tasked
with attacking a variety of targets - interdiction targets, supply dumps,
surface-to-air missiles sites, artillery, Silkworm missiles - the Jaguars
distinguished themselves. Jaguars proved effective using the Canadian
CRV-7 rocket pod against Iraqi naval targets, destroying patrol boats and
landing craft. During the war, the Jaguars flew 618 strike and
reconnaissance sorties without a combat loss.
images below to see larger images
The Airfix and
Heller Jaguar kits share the same mold, the only significant difference
being the respective inclusion of parts for the British variant or French
variant. Aside for being for the GR1A variant, I used all the same
aftermarket sets I used for my Jaguar A build. These include:
Paragon bulged wheels set, Paragon flaps and slats set, Paragon exhaust/ECM/gun
bulge set, Two-Mikes intakes, Neomega Jaguar GR1 cockpit set, and Eduard
GR1 photo-etch set. I made a few minor modifications like the fuel
dump at the tail and adding more probes on the nose.
not like the kit BL755 cluster bombs so I chose to depict my aircraft with
four 1,000 lb bombs. The bomb parts, which I believe are from the Italeri
Tornado kit, were donated from fellow ARC member "Stephen".
The two AIM-9 Sidewinders are from the Hasegawa Weapons Set.
Painting was done with
Xtracrylix Desert Pink which was toned down with gray. Weathering and
other details were done in various enamels.
Decals are mainly from
the Model Alliance MA-48117 Jaguar Gulf War 1990-91 sheet. I chose to
build mine as XZ358 "Diplomatic Service". I thought the bomb
mission markings were too small so I used the mission marking decal included in
the kit. A few decals I took from various other sheets such as the black
"W" on the tail fin.