Aircraft Resource Center

                                 

1/32 Kinetic F-86F Sabre

Gallery Article by Mark Doherty on Apr 19 2011

Birthday-announcement banner

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

 

Gal mainpage Ad below main pic

The Kinetic Sabre is a great kit. It’s big, chunky and full of detail. The kit has a complete engine, and the all important nose weight, included. I began my build with the cockpit. The instrument panel is clear plastic with raised detail and holes for the instruments. The panel came up well - painted black and with some dry brushing. Then came the instrument panel ‘sandwich’ – first the back panel, then the decal. Added to this is a small amount of clear-fix, strategically placed, such that when the painted instrument panel is attached, the clear-fix fills the holes. The seat is also well detailed, consisting of 6 parts. However, I added some homemade belts and harnesses. I also added placards to the front of the fuselage, and this helped to hide the fuselage join. 

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

The fuselage construction is well thought out. The gun bays/ side consoles fit together really well, along with the 4 parts of the fuselage. Once the fuselage is together, the rest of the kit is pretty straight forward. Some sanding and filling are needed, but not much for such a big kit. Re-scribing the sanded detail was a pleasure, mostly because of the shape of the fuselage. I decided early on in the build that I would try out the Alclad range of paints. A friend recommended the Alclad Black Primer to start with. This stuff is great. It highlights the mistakes that need corrected in the fuselage really well. As a result of using it, I felt that this was the ‘cleanest’ model I had built for some time. Next was the Alclad. I usually airbrush in the garage where the light isn’t great, so when I put on the first coat I thought that it hadn’t worked at all. 

I kept the pressure low (15psi) as instructed, and sprayed another coat. This time I could see a slight difference. By the fourth coat – incredible! I couldn’t believe the effect: it really looked like aluminium. Chuffed, I let it dry for about a week, and then used a thin coat of Vallejo gloss varnish. Next, I thinned down some enamel black paint and ran it along the panel lines. I noticed that it darkened the shiny finish in places, and I could then use this to darken panels or thicken panel lines. This worked a treat. I am never confident with big decals and so decided to spray the yellow bands and use Eagle Strike Productions Korean Ace decals. After masking the required areas, I used Vallejo Flat Yellow, another coat of gloss, and then applied the decals. Finally, I attached the landing gear, which is sturdy and needed very little alterations to look right. I added placards, etc. to give more detail. 

Overall I am really pleased with this model. This is a great kit and I would certainly be keen to build another one. This was my first shot at using Alclad, and the advice that I got of be prepared, a clean finish, low pressure and be patient, worked well.

Mark Doherty

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

Vertical ad

Photos and text © by Mark Doherty

footer banner