Subject: Re: 1/32 Tamiya F - 4 J Phantom
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Luc Janssen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 14:47:23 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
ARC Air - Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.arcair.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Luc Janssen 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 11:15 AM
  Subject: 1/32 Tamiya F - 4 J Phantom 

  "1/32 Tamiya F-4J Phantom " 

  by "Luc Janssen"
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here 

   

  Building

  Although this Tamiya kit is a famous one, it is rather difficult to build and some experience is needed, particularly when assembling the intakes and the exhaust section correctly.

  I wanted to build a simple diorama with an F-4 without armament or other ordnance and parked on a simple piece of tarmac. 

  I used two after market sets, namely the Aires exhaust nozzles and the cockpit equipment.  I reworked several details of the kit as the pylons, the TER bomb racks, the refueling probe, the nose and main landing  gear and the wing folding mechanisms with their locks.  As the flaps in the kit are not correct, I made new ones, both inboard and outboard.

  Danny Coremans superb US NAVY F -4 B/J/N/S publication is a fantastic guide when building a Phantom !

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg

   

  Painting

  Painting was based on several photographs of Marine F -4's with the green clovers on the tail and central fuel tank.   These machines were often well-worn and with lot of paint patches, giving the planes an aggressive and impressive appearance.

  I started to spray the model with an overall coat of Light Gull Gray, where after I accentuated the joints with pastel powder of a slightly Darker Gray using a fine brush.  Once this finished, I cleaned the model and gave it an overall spray of Light Gull Gray diluted with thinner on a base of 1 to 4.  All the underside items were painted afterwards with White, but not threatened with pastels.

  The next step was to give the model two overall coats of gloss varnish and to put the decals in place.  I used a part of the decals from the kit together with a decal sheet of Yellowhammer Models .  It took me a lot of time to get all the decals on the right place, in particular the stencils!

  After the decals, again two diluted coats of a mixture of gloss and dull varnish (proportion 4 gloss and 5 dull) was given and the weathering job could start.

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here 

  Weathering

  First I began with some patches of 'field maintenance' Light Gull Gray that I applied with a brush, cut short.  Checking the photographs of the real thing, I accentuated some of the panel lines with a very sharp color pencil, Dark and Medium Gray for the upper sides and Light and Medium Gray for the under sides. Then I gave the model the necessary dirt marks and airflow strains, always checking photographs of the real planes, using a Dark Brown and Black color pencil and pastels.

  The last thing to create was the base.  I made it from a simple piece of sheet styrene which was threatened with plastic cement and a sponge to get a rough appearance, glued on a glass plate and painted Dark Gray, completed with some markings.

   

  After market update sets

  Aires      Cockpit Set F -4/J

                 Exhaust Nozzles

  Paints

  Alclad II Lacquer - Model Master 

   

  References

  - Danny Coremans                                         US Navy F -4 B/J/N/S Phantom

  - Famous Airplanes of the World no 114     F -4 J/K Phantom

  - Squadron/Signal Publications                     Air War over Southeast Asia Vol 2 + 3

  - Squadron/Signal Publications                     Phantom II

  - Sqaudron/Signal Publications                      . . . And kill Migs 

  - F -4 Phantom II in Detail & Scale

  - Mig Killers of Yankee Station

  "Luc Janssen - [email-masked]"

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg

  Just delete any of the boxes below you don't need.....it's not important to include them.....they are there to give you an idea of the finished article.  It is best to limit your article to no more than 60 or so photos, so the finished webpage won't take too long to open.

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 18.jpg

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg

   

        

       

   

        

       

  Photos and text © by Luc Janssen - [email-masked]