Subject: Re: P-40 Article
From: "Steve Bamford" <[email-masked]>
To: "Edward A. Fuquay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:32:05 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward A. Fuquay" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 3:55 PM
Subject: P-40 Article

Gallery Template #06

1/48th AMT/ERTL P-40N

By Edward A. Fuquay
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
This Curtis Aviation fighter has always caught my eye and imagination. Glenn
Curtis¹s design proved its worth during WWII. In spite of being outclassed
by its contemporary adversaries, it marched on and was the main fighter in
service with the USAAF at breakout of hostilities. The P-40 reputation was
gained while flown by the famous ³Flying Tigers² over the hostile skies of
China. They achieved an outstanding kill ratio against a superior enemy.
General Claire Chenault used the strength of the P-40 against the weaknesses
of the Zero and his tactics proved invaluable for the allies.

The P-40N was the last mass produced version of this remarkable aircraft.
Heavily armored and armed with six .50 machineguns and in the hands of an
experienced pilot, this fighter was a menace for the more advanced Japanese
and German fighter planes. These magnificent aircraft were replaced as front
line fighters by the more advanced P-38s, P-47s, and P-51s.

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
03.jpg

    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
04.jpg
This AMT/ERTL kit, no longer in production, is a really good representation.
It has its shortcomings. The most notorious is the not so well detailed
landing gear. There are some fit problems, but nothing that cannot be fixed
with a little putty and sanding paper. The level of detail is pretty good,
but it needs a new gun sight. I scratch built the one. The gears need work
too. The best references are books on this airplane.

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here

I enjoyed building this kit; the color I used was Floquil Desert Storm Sand
and RLM76 on the underside. Those were the colors I could match best to the
FS numbers called out by the instructions. Well once again happy modeling,

Edward A. Fuquay

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
05.jpg

    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
06.jpg

Photos and text © 2003 by Edward A. Fuquay