Subject: Re: Gallery Article - F4H-1 Phantom II
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:05:56 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 12:43 AM
Subject: Gallery Article - F4H-1 Phantom II

Gallery Template #06
"1:48 F4H-1 Phantom II"
by "Darius Aibara"
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
I have always liked the look of the F4 Phantom and was intrigued by the
prototype F4H-1 when I first saw photographs of it in the Aerospace
Publications book "F4 Phantom - Spirit in the Sky".  Some years ago DB
Models (a UK producer of resin conversion bits) brought out a series of
conversion sets for the prototype Phantom II - the F4H-1.  They produced two
sets: the first for the prototype and carrier trials aircraft; and the
record breaking aircraft "Sageburner" and "Skyburner".   I have used the
first set which provides a new resin nose and front ejection seat with a
single piece vac-formed clear canopy that  covers the front and rear cockpit
stations.  You have to match this with the kit supplied windscreen.  White
metal cockpit instrument panel details are also provided. Decals are
provided for the red trim, Phantom II logos and F4H-1 serials.

The conversion set is designed to be used with the 1:48 Hasegawa F4B/N kit,
however I am somewhat averse to carving up expensive "Tamigawa" kits and so
I opted to use a second hand Monogram 1:48 F4C kit and some filler.  The
resin nose mated quite well to the Monogram Kit, however the Monogram
cockpit needs some re-working as they mould the lower ejection seat parts
integral with the cockpit tub.  I cut the lower tub and seats away and
re-built the tub with plastic card.  The rest of the kit went together as
per the instructions, the only remaining surgery being to the pylon
strengthening plates on the underwing surfaces, which need to be removed.
C
 lick on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
The model was primed with white auto primer, which also formed the lower
white of the US Navy scheme and Humbrol gull grey was brush applied to the
upper wings and fuselage.  I mixed a shade of gloss red enamel to match the
decals and brush applied it to the fin, wingtips, nose and centreline tank.
For added interest I folded the wingtips using the Airwaves etched metal
wingfold set.  This is also designed for the Hasegawa kit and needed a
slight trim to fit the Monogram wings.  Plastic card aerials and steel rod
pitots completed the job.
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>

Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
Photos and text © 2003 by "Darius Aibara"

 <<F4H-1 Phantom II.zip>>

Darius Aibara
TPS Consult

Tel:  020 8256 4090
Fax: 020 8256 4082

www.tpsconsult.co.uk

**********************************************************************
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
[email-masked] and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY
********************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________