Subject: Re: Gallery Article - P40 Tomahawk II
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:10:51 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 5:28 AM
Subject: Gallery Article - P40 Tomahawk II

Steve

Gallery Template #07
"1:48 RAF Curtiss P40 Tomahawk Mk II"
by "Darius Aibara"
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
This is the Hobbycraft P40 kit modelled as an RAF Tomahawk Mk II of 112
Squadron RAF somewhere in North Africa in 1941.  I assembled the kit
essentially out of the box but with the help of an Eduard photoetch set for
the cockpit and flaps.  The kit is fairly straightforward but the plastic is
somewhat brittle and needs careful cutting to accept the photoetched parts -
which are fairly good.  The Eduard flaps have separate triangular stiffeners
that need to be individually cemented with cyano - my technique for this is
to place a few drops of glue on the top of a jam jar lid and then just touch
the stiffener to the glue drop using tweezers before transferring it to the
flaps.  This is about 80-90% successful with the stiffener being stuck to
the tweezers in the remaining 10% (as opposed to my fingers, which is what
used to happen).
Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
I brush painted the model using Humbrol enamels and coated it with Johnson's
Kear acrylic varnish before applying the decals.  The kit decals are not
good (thick, glossy with incorrect colour shades) and so I used an
aftermarket set for Curtiss P40B's.  After sealing in the decals with a
further coating of Klear I applied a coat of Humbrol "matt cote" and had a
go at weathering with some pastel chalks.
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
The kit canopy can be posed open but the sliding portion broke while I was
masking it so I substituted a Falcon vac-formed example whilst retaining the
kit windscreen.  I also made a new port wing pitot probe from steel wire.
The Eduard etched gunsights completed the model.

Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
 Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of
photo 07.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized
version of photo 07.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>  
Photos and text © 2003 by "Darius Aibara"

 <<P40 Tomahawk II.zip>>
Darius Aibara
TPS Consult

Tel:  020 8256 4090
Fax: 020 8256 4082

www.tpsconsult.co.uk

CARILLION VALUES
Openness - Collaboration - Mutual Dependency - Professional Delivery - Focus
On Sustainable Profitable Growth - Innovation
**********************************************************************
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
[email-masked] and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY
********************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________