Subject: Re: Gallery Article - Extra 230
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 07:36:46 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Steve Bamford ARC'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 8:27 AM
Subject: RE: Gallery Article - Extra 230

Steve

Whoops...pics attached.

Regards

Darius

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Bamford ARC [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 29 Apr 2003 16:22
To: Aibara Darius @Consult
Subject: Re: Gallery Article - Extra 230

Hi Darius,
I didn't get pics for this one.
Thanks mate.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you have never been hurt; and
Dance like no one is watching!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 12:50 AM
Subject: Gallery Article - Extra 230

Gallery Template #05
"1:48 Scale Walter Extra 230"
by "Darius Aibara"
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
This is a metal kit that I built for a friend of mine.  Many years ago a
"cottage industry" enthusiast in Surrey formed LDM models and seemingly
produced a series of 1:48 scale metal kits of aerobatic and racing aircraft
including the Extra 230.  I am not sure if any of these kits are available
now but my friend obtained the Extra 230 at the time.
The kit contains few parts.  The fuselage is spilt horizontally, with the
wings and tailplanes cast with the upper fuselage.  The rudder is separate
as are the undercarriage (which is cast in zinc for strength).  A vac-formed
canopy and white metal prop, joystick and mass balances complete the parts.
Decals are provided for the "Jaguar" scheme as flown by Brian Lecomber.

Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
 Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of
photo 05.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized
version of photo 05.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>  
The metal parts were cleaned up, primed with grey auto primer and cemented
with cyano glue.  I used Humbrol filler to cover the seams, which worked
quite well.  The whole was then sprayed with two coats of white primer to
form the base white.  After this had cured I masked the green areas and
sprayed a couple of coats of "Brooklands Green" auto paint, which was the
closest match I could get to the decal green.  The model was de-masked and
two coats of Johnson's Klear acrylic varnish brush applied before decaling.
The decals were sealed with a further coat of Klear.  The Extra cockpit had
floor and side panel windows which I "glazed" with acetate sheet cut from
the strips you get with shirt packaging, sealed in with white glue.  Steel
wire tail struts, pitot and aerials were added as indicated in the kit
instructions.

A satisfying kit to build in an attractive scheme - hopefully there are some
more LDM kits at large somewhere...
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
Photos and text © 2003 by "Darius Aibara"

Darius Aibara
TPS Consult

Tel:  020 8256 4090
Fax: 020 8256 4082

www.tpsconsult.co.uk

CARILLION VALUES
Openness - Collaboration - Mutual Dependency - Professional Delivery - Focus
On Sustainable Profitable Growth - Innovation
**********************************************************************
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
[email-masked] and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY
********************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

CARILLION VALUES
Openness - Collaboration - Mutual Dependency - Professional Delivery - Focus
On Sustainable Profitable Growth - Innovation
**********************************************************************
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
[email-masked] and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY
********************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________