Subject: Re: Gallery Article - DCH-2 Beaver
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:34:58 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 12:18 AM
Subject: Gallery Article - DCH-2 Beaver

Steve - one more for the in-tray:

Gallery Template #07
"1:48 Hobbycraft DHC-2 Beaver"
by "Darius Aibara"
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
I recently completed this 1:48 floatplane version of the DeHaviland Canada
Beaver for a friend of mine.  It is my first attempt at both modelling a
floatplane and rigging an aeroplane - in this case the floats.  The
Hobbycraft Kit is somewhat basic but has reasonable detail and OK decals -
it looks like a Beaver.  The fuselage halves are moulded in clear plastic
which is good in that there are no fiddly cabin windows to install but
awkward in that the windows have to be masked inside and out.  I assembled
the cockpit interior adding decal instrument dials and steel pin throttle
controls to the kit panel and tape seatbelts to the seats.  I left the rear
cabin bare as you cannot see much of the interior once the fuselage halves
are closed.
Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
I broke the construction into four sub-assemblies: fuselage, floats, wings
and tailplanes.  I removed the elevators and repositioned them in the
dropped position - adding the tailplane "winglets" from plastic card.  The
wings were assembled as moulded, as were the floats.  Using photo references
from the excellent website www.airliners.net, I added details to the floats
in the form of access panels and mooring ties (or whatever the nautical term
for these things is).  I scratch built the rudders from plastic card and
steel rod and installed them in the raised position with stretched sprue
control lines. The kit float struts were cleaned up, drilled to accept the
rigging, and modified to mate more effectively with the holes in the floats.
I added plastic card "steps" to the strut braces.
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
The sub-assemblies were spray painted with Halfords grey acrylic auto primer
and then with several coats of Halfords white primer.  After this had cured
I applied a few coats of Johnson's Klear varnish, masked and brush painted
the yellow cowl, wing leading edge and tips, and float anti-slip patches.
The fuselage was decaled before attaching the wings and floats.  The latter
was a tricky operation and I will use a jig next time as the installed
floats are not exactly "square".   I inserted the stretched sprue rigging
and rudder control cables through the pre-drilled holes and secured them
with super glue. Once rigged the float assembly is quite rigid.  Stretched
sprue aerials were added to complete the job.
Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
 Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of
photo 07.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized
version of photo 07.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>  
Photos and text © 2003 by "Darius Aibara"

 <<DHC-2_Beaver.zip>>

Regards

Darius Aibara
TPS Consult

Tel:  020 8256 4090
Fax: 020 8256 4082

www.tpsconsult.co.uk

CARILLION VALUES
Openness - Collaboration - Mutual Dependency - Professional Delivery - Focus
On Sustainable Profitable Growth - Innovation
**********************************************************************
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
[email-masked] and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY
********************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________