Subject: Re: Gallery submission (I hope)
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jim Ward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:51:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Ward" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 12:07 PM
Subject: Gallery submission (I hope)

Steve, the link to the e-mail on the "how to submit an gallery entry or
article" did not work on my computer - kept getting an error message - been
trying for two days now!

I have pasted the format info into this e-mail message.  If this creates a
problem for you, or takes too much time, PLEASE don't waste any of your
time - just let me know and I'll try to do it another way that is easiest
for you.  From someone with four children of my own, I appreciate all you do
considering the demands on your time.  Thanks again and below the line is
the info:
____________________________________________________________________________
_____
Gallery Template #06

"1/48 Fujimi F-14A (VF-33 Starfighters)"

by "Jim Ward"
--------------------

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here

Having just got back into the hobby about a year ago, and being a huge F-14
fan, I decided to cut my teeth on what I thought was a relatively basic
model.  I should have known that NO 1/48 scale Tomcat build would be simple
build!  However, the only reason this model even resembles an F-14 is
because of this website and the fine people who maintain and visit it.  I
appreciate all the help, advice, and fantastic models I see here daily.
This site has made the hobby much more enjoyable!  Besides, where else could
I learn how to increase my un-built stash to a ridiculous number without my
wife knowing?  Where else would I have learned that Future is NOT for
floors!  And the list could go on!  Now on to the kit!

The Fujimi kit came out before the now famous Hasagawa F-14 series and was
considered at one time the best Tomcat kit on the market.  In my opinion,
its still a good kit, despite some obvious flaws.  For starters, there is
little or no cockpit detail.  To top it off, I was told by several people
who I consider to be experts, that the aftermarket cockpits don't fit the
Fujimi kit.  Hence the closed cockpit.  However, I did manage to
scratchbuild several cockpit items to "beef" it up some.  I also placed two
Revell-Monogram figures (Pilot and RIO) in the cockpit - more to hide the
poor seat detail than anything else.  There is little or no gear box detail,
poor weapons (except for the phoenix missles), basic landing gear, and the
list could go on.  However, I was pleased with the finished project and it
looks like a Tomcat to me!

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg

  Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
04.jpg

Building the Kit:
The overall fit wasn't too bad and required only minimal filler and sanding.
However there were three major problem areas.  The worst area being where
the cockpit is joined to the airframe body.  The misalignment was easily the
worst I have ever seen (an eighth inch step-up from one part to another).
Believe it or not, after I realized that the misalignment could not be
sanded away without destroying all of the surrounding detail, I carefully
melted the parts together with a very small flat knife heated on a hot
plate.  I was then able to sand the area to create a seamless fit.  Did lose
some detail, but was able to rescribe what I lost.  Pretty drastic, but
worked well enough!  The other problem area was the entire
canopy/windscreen.  It simply didn't align to the cockpit.  I tried all
sorts of filler, carefully sanding the canopy, heating and bending, but with
only limited success.  Finally, the ventral strakes are horrible -
completely wrong in shape and size.  I scratchbuilt some replacements and
was generally pleased with the result.  There are other visible flaws, but
please don't bother pointing them out.  I build completely for my own
enjoyment and relaxation.  I frankly can't hold a candle to much of the work
I see here daily, but then again, I'm not in a competition with anyone.  I
simply love the process of building, improving my skills with each model,
and seeing the end result.

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here

The decals are from CAM depicting the "Batmobile" from VF-33 operating off
the USS America in 1982.  The model was painted with Tamiya and Model Master
paints.  I did some light weathering with pastels, an oil wash, and
mechanical pencil to highlight panel lines.  Sorry there are no close-up
photos, the ones I took didn't come out clear - guess the digital camera I
used wasn't up to the task.

I hope you enjoy!

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg

  Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
06.jpg

Photos and text © 2003 by "Jim Ward"