Subject: Re: Gallery Article - Saab Gripen
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:06:45 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 12:18 AM
Subject: Gallery Article - Saab Gripen

Gallery Template #07
"1:48 Saab Gripen"
by "Darius Aibara"
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
The Saab Gripen has been kitted by Italeri in 1:72 scale and by Revell in
1:144, however to my knowledge there has not been a 1:48 kit of this
aircraft...or so I thought.  In a kit stall at this year's Biggin Hill air
show I spotted a box pertaining to contain a 1:48 Gripen for the princely
sum of £15.  On opening the lid I discovered that the contents were a solid
plastic display model with separate armament fit options and a clear plastic
canopy.  The latter was a clincher as if the canopy had been painted on (as
is often the case with display models) then I would not have proceeded.
The aircraft fuselage was well moulded with recessed panel lines for the
control surfaces, but there was no undercarriage and the gear doors were
screen printed in outline and were off register with the aircraft centreline
as was the fuel tank pylon moulding.  The cockpit was moulded as a
rectangular slot with a poor ejection seat, stick on console and a HUD that
was at least 6 scale inches thick.  The nose pitot was a steel wire in an
off-centre hole.  The Swedish AF markings were  screen printed low vis
types.  The armament options were excellent, however, with a choice of AIM
120s, AGM 65s and Rb 15F anti-ship missiles.
Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
The first step in improving this model was to scratch build the
undercarriage and hollow out the wheel wells from the solid plastic
fuselage.  To help with this task I referred to the excellent photographs of
the Saab Gripen on the IPMS Stockholm website
(http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/04/stuff_eng_detail_gripen.htm)
which has photographs of almost every part of this aircraft.  The hollowing
out of the wheel wells was a "lot of fun", using multiple drill holes,
carving and chiselling but was eventually completed over a few evenings.
The undercarriage was scratch built using spares box parts, sprue stock,
plastic card and stretched sprue.   The canard foreplanes were just push in
items, however on the real aircraft part of the canard profile is fixed to
the fuselage with the joint immediately outboard.  I separated the first
1.5mm of the canards and glued them to the fuselage, fairing them in with
filler.  New steel rod pivots were made and inserted in to pre-drilled holes
in the fuselage and canards enabling them to rotate.

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
The nose and tailplane pitot tubes were replaced with thin steel rod and
aerials etc. were added from the spares box.  A new MFD cockpit console was
made using plastic card and spare decals and an Airwaves resin MB Mk 16 seat
(a spare from a single seat EF2000) was painted up and installed.  The seat
should be a MB Mk 10s, however the Mk16 does not look too bad under the
canopy.  The rather thick canopy was cleaned up and coated with Johnson's
Clear  before attaching with small amounts of super glue.  Being slightly
wider than the forward fuselage it needed to be faired in with filler.
The model was fine sanded to remove original moulding blemishes and primed
with Halfords grey auto primer prior to brush painting with Humbrol enamels.
The original printed markings had now been obliterated so I used some of the
new Two Bobs Saab Viggen hi-viz decals to complete the model - not strictly
appropriate for a Gripen but it looks right.  The decals were sealed in with
Johnson's Clear prior to a final application of Humbrol matt cote.  With a
not insubstantial effort I now have a 1:48 Gripen, which means that a true
1:48 kit of this aircraft will no doubt appear shortly!
Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
 Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of
photo 07.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized
version of photo 07.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>  
Photos and text © 2003 by "Darius Aibara"

 <<Saab Gripen.zip>>

Darius Aibara
TPS Consult

Tel:  020 8256 4090
Fax: 020 8256 4082

www.tpsconsult.co.uk

CARILLION VALUES
Openness - Collaboration - Mutual Dependency - Professional Delivery - Focus
On Sustainable Profitable Growth - Innovation
**********************************************************************
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
[email-masked] and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY
********************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________