Subject: Re: Article for ARC
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Edward Fuquay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 19:54:20 -0700

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you have never been hurt; and
Dance like no one is watching!

----- Original Message -----
From: Edward Fuquay <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Bamford <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 4:42 AM
Subject: Article for ARC

Hi Steve;
I tried the template for the article. I hope it works. If not I also
attached the Word document wth the article. I hope you are well and that the
power outage did not hit you. Best,

Ed

Gallery Template #08

"ONE MEAN MARINE MACHINE" THE CORSAIR AU-1 IN 1/48TH SCALE
BY HASEGAWA

by Ed Fuquay
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here

The AU-1 was the last Corsair produced for the United States Marines Corps.
This aircraft in particular holds the record for the longest propeller
driver fighter produced. Its primary role was close ground support. This
sturdy machine served well the U.S. Marines during the Korean conflict. The
machine depicted served with VMFA-212 "The Lancers"

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg

The kit is very good, only minor errors. One of these being the position of
the upper exhaust pipes which interfered with the alignment of the cowling.
Reference photos show exhaust pipes in that location. The instructions do
not give you indication for the exhaust stubs that protrude on the side of
the cowling, where there is an indentation that suggests an obvious location
for them! I followed my hunch and located the stubs in the indentation and
attached thinner pipes where the instructions indicated the pipes location.

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here

The joint of the cannon tubes and the wing is a bit sloppy, but workable.
The rest of the kit is wonderful. I had very little filling and sanding to
do. The cockpit detail is adequate and with care it looks pretty good. The
Clear parts are crisp and thin. A parting mould line is present on the top
of the canopy and that must be dealt with. I smoothed it with a sharp blade
with an adzing motion. Then I used a fingernail polishing stick to bring
back the transparency. A coat of Future wax took care of all minor
scratches. I used Modelmaster's Gloss Dark Sea Blue to paint the model. I
coated the entire kit with a coat of Future Floor Wax with a soft flat brush
and then applied all the decals. A final coat of Future was brushed on to
seal the decals. I really enjoyed building this kit. The armament came in
the box. Decals were not of the best quality, but workable. Once again happy
modeling!

Ed Fuquay

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg

Photos and text © 2003 by Ed Fuquay