Subject: MR. ARC: OLDSMOBILE AEROTECH CAR - STORY ONLY - BY RODNEY WILLIANS
From: Rodney Williams <[email-masked]>
To: STEVE BAMFORD <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:08:03 -0700

OLDSMOBILE AEROTECH
                        AN EXPERIMENTAL RACE CAR
                           BY: RODNEY WILLIAMS

Who me, an airplane guy building a car?  That's right ! A sleek looking
car at that.  I built this little jewel about ten years ago.  I think it
was a Monogram kit, but I'm not sure, and I forgot what scale it is.

I recall that the large wind screen did not fit perfect, so I attached
it with "thin" super glue, to the top section of the body, then filled
in the gaps with "gap" filling super glue.  I sanded the outside smooth,
down to 2,000 get wet/dry sandpaper, then polished the plastic on both
sides with my old favorite compound, "Blue Magic Metal Polishing Cream."

I followed the kit's "black" paint instructions for the drivers
compartment.  After the model was finished, I wished that I had used a
different color for the interior, rather than the black.  Even with a
flash light, it's hard to see all of the items on the inside.  A light
to medium grey would have been ideal.

There was an engine for the model, but I elected to close the hood, so
it was not built.  The radiators gave a bit of an installation problem,
and I used some styrene stock to close up some small gaps.  The
radiators were painted  with "SnJ" copper.

The top body section was painted with Testors German Silver, (?) and
was clear coated with Future.  After is was dry, the top section was
joined to the pre painted bottom section, which was all closed in.  I
painted it a rather dark metallic grey/black.

I used liquid mask on the four tires, and  airbrushed on the white paint
on the tire names.  They were cleaned up and installed after I applied
the kit decals.

I've included this black and white photo, which I think is really neat.
I bought the small show case from a car modeler.  The mirrored plastic
case is bent on two ends at a 45 degree angle.  This lets you view the
model all at once, including the underside, as it too has a 45 degree
angle mirror.

Cars are easier to build than airplanes.  Soon, I'll show you my 1959
Caddy convertible, and my Ferrari F-40.

Rodney