Subject: Re: Bouton's Dewoitine
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Randy Lutz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:04:15 -0700

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you have never been hurt; and
Dance like no one is watching!

----- Original Message -----
From: Randy Lutz <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 11:53 AM
Subject: Bouton's Dewoitine

Hi Steve,

Please find attached some images of my Tamiya Dewoitine D.520.

This particular model represents the D.520 flown by Adjutant Chef Bouton of
Groupe de chasse II/3, 2ieme Escadrille, while engaged in Syrian campaign
(Operation Levante) and was based at Rayak, Lebanon, during June 1941.

I am aware of only two photos of Bouton's aircraft.  One is found in the
Polish publication entitled 'D.520' by Books International.  It depicts
Bouton's aircraft prior to the application of Vichy markings and is
invaluable in determining the starboard side camouflage pattern.  At this
particular time, it also sported the red stripes on the fuselage.  There has
been some debate over the stripes, with some claiming they are personal
markings.  In reality, they are a standard feature on D.520's of the 2ieme
Escadrille, of Groupe de chasse II/3. An interesting aspect of this photo is
that fact that it clearly illustrates the use of the short dorsal antenna
mast and is the only photo I have seen of a short-masted Dewoitine.

The other photo of Bouton's aircraft appears in the French publication
entitled 'Le Dewoitine' by Raymond Danel and Jean Cuny.  In this photo the
aircraft is shown after being destroyed on the ground in July 1941. You can
clearly see the all-yellow tail surfaces, indicative of aircraft involved in
Syria and at this time the aircraft was fitted with the more commonly seen
tall dorsal antenna mast.

Bouton's aircraft has been confused with another similarly marked Dewoitine
flown by Sergeant Robert Killy, father of the famous French downhill skier,
Jean-Claude Killy, but there are subtle differences in the camo pattern and
the large number '30'.

My model is not quite out of the box as I added some photo-etched seatbelts.
It is finished in  Xtracolor X384 WWII Kaki, X386 WWII Ombre Calcinee, X388
WWII Gris Bleu Foncé, X389 WWII Gris Bleu Clair, X103, X106 Insignia Yellow
FS13538, X103 Insignia Red FS11136, X124 Blue FS15109 and X141 White
FS17875.  All markings are by Aeromaster from sheet 48-095 and the aircraft
was  weathered with chalk pastels.