Subject: FW: ARC Gallery Submission - 9 Oct 2003
From: "Sebastian Lim" <[email-masked]>
To: "Steve Bamford - ARC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:37:33 +0800

Hi Steve,
 
I realised there was a typo in the article submitted earlier, could you
help me amend the following highlighted in RED? Just amend the date to
2002, instead of 2003. Thanks again Steve!
 
Cheers!
Sebastian L
  _____  

"Trumpeter 1/48 FT-6 Trainer" 
"Pakistan Air Force FT-6" 

by "Sebastian  <mailto:[email-masked]> Lim"
--------------------

  _____  

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here 
  <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/01.jpg> 

Brief History

The model depicted above is a Chinese-built Shenyang FT-6. This combat
trainer was only operational in both People's Liberation Army Air
Force(PLAAF) and Pakistan Air Force(PAF). Though the Shenyang F-6s had
served the PAF since 1967, 15 FT-6s were delivered only in 1980,
replacing the older FT-5s. Basically, the FT-6 is a fighter conversion
trainer but with a secondary air-ground role. On 27 March 2003 , it was
replaced by the Chinese-made
<http://www.stormpages.com/jetfight/trainer/FT-7P3.jpg> FT-7PG, along
with the single-seater
<http://www.stormpages.com/jetfight/fighter/F-7PG6.jpg> F-7PG Skybolt
when the PAF took delivery of it's latest weapon procurement from China.
Despite the retirement, few FT-6s were thought to be attached to either
16 & 26 Sqn, operating the A-5C Fantan.

Construction

Basically, this kit was built OOB except for the Martin Baker Mk.10PKD
ejection seats, which were scratch-built using plastic card/rods.
Typical of Trumpeter's offering, sink marks were found throughout the
fuselage section but i must say the quality has improved with each new
release! Fitting were generally ok except the nose-gear landing well,
wing joints and both front/rear canopy. Take note when attaching the
front windshield, you need to fill up the gaps in between it and the
fuselage. Despite these problems, an average modeler can take care
without much effort but do take note of the following:

1) Add noseweight...NOT indicated on the instruction sheet!
2) Flimsy landing gears, especially the mains! The axle attaching the
wheels seems to wobble with the slightest touch!
  
Kit decals(quality has improved) were used since the only aftermarket
option are limited to the extremely rare 1/48 TigerWings' for PLAAF &
PAF F-6/FT-6. After checking my references, i concluded the included
markings were meant for the early FT-6s. Later variants spots 5-digits
aircraft numbers(both front & aft), extended PAF insignia with white
border, a pair of 'yellow/red' Chinese-style ejection seat warning
triangles, etc.

Gunze enamels, Mr. Color series, were used for the painting.
H305(FS36118), H307(FS36320) & H308(FS36375) were applied to depict the
3-tone gray camo scheme. As for the pair of drop tanks, i opted to paint
one in early NMF(port-side) since PAF ground crews often have to make do
with what they have at their disposal. Like i'd mentioned above, the kit
decals provided were meant for NMF birds but i chose to model otherwise
after having seen one example in Peter Steinemann's Asian Airpower -
Exotic Warplanes In Action.

Last but not least, the weathering.  Most of PAF's FT-6 were moderately
weathered, thus not having to resort to oil-washing. I opted for the
'pastel+washing liquid+water' formula :). The wash were applied along
the panel lines and left to cure for 12 hours. Subsequently, cotton
buds(or Q-Tips as it is known in the West) were used to clean up the
wash...VOILA!

REFERENCES:

* Peter Steinemann's Asian Airpower - Exotic Warplanes In Action,
published 1989.
* Air Forces Monthly, November 2001.
* Air Forces Monthly, June 2002.
* Scale Aircraft Modeling, Vol.4 Number 2, November 1981 - yes the one
came with a FREE PAF decal sheet!!

This FT-6 belongs to the No.19 'Sherdils' Sqn, based at Mansoor Airbase.
The 3-tone camo scheme seen here is probably of the early batches. The
demarcation lines of the FS36118 appears to be more pronounced on the
main fuselage, as compared to the tailfin section. This is however
untrue on the single-seat Shenyang F-6! Having checked my rather limited
resources, it appears that recent photos spots a different variation of
the FS36118 shades!   	 

Click on image below to see larger image

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 03a?.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04?.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 04a?.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

 Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 05a.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 06a.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

 Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 07a.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 08a.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 09a.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 10a?.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 11a.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg
here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 12a.jpg 

 <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/0?.jpg> 

Cheers!

Sebastian L
Republic of Singapore  

  

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here 
  <http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Article-Templates/02.jpg> 
Photos and text C 2003 by "Sebastian Lim"