Subject: Re: Gallery Article - Blackburn Firebrand TF5
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:35:21 -0800

Hi Darius.....thanks for sending in your Blackburn Firebrand TF5....I've
added it to the line-up.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

----- Original Message -----
From: Aibara Darius @Consult <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 12:31 AM
Subject: Gallery Article - Blackburn Firebrand TF5

Gallery Template #04
"1:48 Magna Models Blackburn Firebrand TF5"
by "Darius Aibara"
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
Magna Models have produced an extensive series of 1:72 resin kits of mainly
Royal Navy and RAF aircraft and have in recent years ventured into 1:48
scale with four kits of RN subjects.  I had always liked the look of the
Firebrand and ordered the TF5 kit direct from Magna Models.  The kit is
packaged in a stout box and comprises solid one piece resin wing, tailplane
and fin, with a solid resin fuselage (hollowed out at the cockpit).  A
single price resin nose is provided (with the "fan" at the front of the
engine moulded integrally) together with a separate resin spinner.  Prop
blades, undercarriage, cockpit console and other detail parts were provided
in white metal along with two vac-formed canopies.  Decals are provided for
several Royal Navy Firebrands.
Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
This was the first resin kit that I had attempted so I carefully followed
Magna Models instructions in using this media. I washed all the parts using
detergent and an old toothbrush to remove any mould release agents and
sanded away any remnants of pouring stubs (these were not too extensive).
There were very few surface pinholes (caused by small air bubbles trapped
against the mould) and these were filled with cyano glue and sanded flush.
Some of the underwing flap panel lines were not well defined so I re-scribed
them.  The remaining engraved panel lines were very well moulded.  With so
few parts assembly was quite rapid using cyano glue.  Humbrol grey filler
was used to blend in the joins - this works quite well with the resin.
Once the model was sanded, and re-scribed where necessary, it was sprayed
with Halfords grey primer and the Sky underside colour with the upper extra
dark sea grey brush applied using Humbrol enamel.  The kit decals were
applied to represent an aircraft of 813 Sqn FAA aboard HMS Indomitable in
1951 and sealed in with a coat of clear.  I used the kit provided canopy
windscreen but the sliding bubble canopy shape did not look right and so I
replaced it with a spare P51 canopy from a Tamiya kit.  A light weathering
around the exhausts and the addition of the kit supplied torpedo completed
the job.

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
Photos and text © 2003 by "Darius Aibara"

 <<Firebrand TF5.zip>>
Regards

Darius Aibara
TPS Consult

Tel:  020 8256 4090
Fax: 020 8256 4082

www.tpsconsult.co.uk

CARILLION VALUES
Openness - Collaboration - Mutual Dependency - Professional Delivery - Focus
On Sustainable Profitable Growth - Innovation
**********************************************************************
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
[email-masked] and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY
********************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________