Subject: Re: Article: Baghdad Hobby Club
From: "Charles P. Kalina" <[email-masked]>
To: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 14:25:07 -0500

Cool.  Problem is that the club doesn't have its own snail-mail address,
so donations would have to be sent in care of an individual member, and
personnel rotate out of the country periodically.  Best would probably be
to add a note that anyone interested in donating could e-mail me for more
information.  (If they send stuff to me and I hand it to the club, it
makes me look good... :-)  Obviously we can't do any kind of commercial
endorsements but we could probably manage an official-looking letter of
thanks if a retailer (or for that matter an individual or club) wanted to
give us anything... 

We're pretty well-stocked with model airplane kits.  It's obvious that
retailers are giving us the stuff they can't sell (I've yet to see a
Testors Gee Bee racer, but it's that kind of stuff), but it's not bad
stuff, just older.  We haven't gotten a lot of donated paints;  we can
mail-order stuff if necessary but donations are always welcome.

Incidentally, I went poking around the Iraqi Airways graveyard recently --
a bunch of derelict Boeings and an Ilyushin-76 parked up at the airport. 
Took lots of photos, and this weekend I'm going to try to take some more,
with an ARC walkaround article in mind.  The Joint Material Exploitation
Center used to be right next to our camp, with lots of captured
helicopters and other equipment, but they shipped everything off just
before I arrived, unfortunately.

We have unclassified internet terminals in the office but for some reason
I couldn't access ARC when I first arrived.  Let it never be said I'm not
earning my hardship pay.  Fortunately the problem (whatever it was)
cleared up after a couple of weeks.  There are persistent rumors they will
set up an "internet cafe" in one of the buildings here.

Did you get the mug I sent you as a small token of appreciation for your
hard work on ARC? 

Talk to you soon,
-cpk

"Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]> writes:
>This is cool.....lets run this tomorrow.  The pics an text clearly show
>this
>is no joke.  Do you guys need any donations or do you have enough to keep
>yourself going?  I could include your address over there in your article
>for
>guys that would want to send you stuff in support of the troops.
>