Subject: RE: Silly week gallery
From: "Dave DeLang" <[email-masked]>
To: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:31:15 -0500

Danke! I can see why the NASCAR modelers like to build collections of these
things. A shelf full of them would be quite colorful!

On re-reading I see a couple of spelling mistakes. They're corrected below,
but if you have it saved off and need to edit it, the errors are:

"role cage" should be "roll cage" (note, it was spelled correctly once and
incorrectly further down.)
"spec" should be "speck"
"axels" should be  "axles"

hmmm, they all pass spell check either way!
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Steve Bamford ARC [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 2:02 PM
  To: Dave DeLang
  Subject: Re: Silly week gallery

  No problem Dave...plenty of time.  I'll e-mail you when it appears during
Silly Week.  Beautifully done model BTW.

  Steve Bamford
  Aircraft Resource Center
  http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

  Live like there is no tomorrow;
  Love like you've never been hurt.
  Work like you don't need the money.
  Dance like nobody's watching.
  Sing like nobody's listening.
  Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Dave DeLang
    To: Steve Bamford
    Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 7:00 AM
    Subject: Silly week gallery

    Steve,

    Here you go, another for silly week if you have the time and room. This
is a good one for the new year for me as it's the only kit I both started
and finished in 2003.

    Thanks for the great site and give my regards to the Mon-Key!

    Gallery Template #10

    1/25 Revell NASCAR Ford Taurus

    UPS #88 - Dale Jarrett

    by Dave DeLang

          Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here

    This is a kit I built for a guy at work. He was a manager at UPS for
years and years until the office politics started getting to him. He decided
a career change was in order and went back to school for a certificate in
computer programming and now he's here. When this kit came out about a year
ago I said to myself, Pete needs one of those. I picked one up as soon as I
saw it.

          Click on images below to see larger images

          Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 03.jpg

          Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 04.jpg

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 05.jpg

    The kit is pretty detailed. Much more so than the old MPC kits I built
back when I was a kid and King Richard Petty was still on the track. I
believe the chassis is "generic" in that it's the same for all Revell stock
car kits. That is actually accurate. For research material I bought a
"Motorbooks" book on how they build the real deal and in fact, there are
only about three chassis builders who make virtually all of the body pans
and roll cages. They are very standardized and the only differences between
a Chevy and a Ford and a Dodge are the engine, transmission and the shape of
the body. NASCAR has rules that dictate how almost all of the rest of the
car is built and which components are allowed. As for the body, not a single
speck  of it has any relation to what you see in the showroom except for the
shape. The bodies are hand shaped and welded from sheet steel, fabricated
directly onto the roll cage. The noses and tails are usually plastic
moldings that are supplied by the various car makers but aren't the same as
those on street models. So much for the "stock" of stock cars!

          Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here

    I built it almost entirely straight out of the box. The only thing that
I did with plastic that Revell didn't supply was punch out a few small disks
of plastic sheet that I used to replace detail that was lost due to sanding
a few components to scale thickness. It's not a particularly hard kit to
build. The only trouble I had was the location of the sides of the roll
cage; I couldn't figure out if they fit inside or outside a couple of
locating pins on the fender wells. That and the wheels. The "Goodyear"
markings are decals. When I applied them they became very sticky. They would
stick to my fingers whenever I touched the tires. I tried spraying on a coat
of clear flat, but unfortunately I chose Testor's lacquer based "Dullcoat".
That made the whole tire terribly sticky! I went to a NASCAR message board
and posted a question about it and the answer was, "Yes, the decals react
with the tires and remain sticky and using a solvent based over coat makes
it worse..." Oh well. I just told Pete they were authentic race compound
tires and that's why they were sticky! Then they didn't snap on to the axles
at all well. The application of a little too much pressure resulted in
re-gluing some suspension parts. They aren't even snapped on. It's a good
thing it's in a clear plastic case wired to the base or they'd fall off.

          Click on images below to see larger images

          Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 06.jpg

          Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 07.jpg

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 08.jpg

    I used Model Master aircraft grey for the interior. That may not be
accurate for this particular car as I read that there was some question
about it being red on the aforementioned NASCAR message board, but, the vast
majority of NASCAR interiors are light gloss grey in order to show any fluid
leaks. The white is Boyd's. I think it's the best gloss white around. The
"UPS brown" is a home brew of gloss black, yellow and red. I think I ended
up getting the shade right but it needs a little more red if you compare it
to the numbers. Pete says the number's color is correct so I missed, but not
by much. Pete says that the color is called "Pullman Brown" and was chosen
way back when UPS first started because it doesn't show dirt as much as
other colors. It looks pretty good at arms length. Pete didn't know it was
coming; he was rather speechless. That's one of the best parts about
modeling, I think!

          Click on images below to see larger images

          Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 09.jpg

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo
10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of
photo 10.jpg

    Photos and text © 2003 by Dave DeLang

    David S. DeLang
    Data Innovations, Inc.
    Ph. 802-658-2850x404
    [email-masked]