Subject: Re: Hi Steve - here's a submission for ARC - MiG-25BM Foxbat F
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Malcolm Reid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:43:51 -0800

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Malcolm Reid 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 6:36 AM
  Subject: Hi Steve - here's a submission for ARC - MiG-25BM Foxbat F

  Gallery Template #05

  "1/48 Revell MiG-25BM Foxbat F" 

  by "Malcolm Reid"
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here 

   

  This is the Revell 48th scale MiG-25PD converted to a BM version. The BM was a limited development of the MiG-25 to provide a Soviet SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defences) aircraft. Protracted in development, it entered service in 1988. Apparently less than 100 were produced. The BM's main weapon was the Kh-58 (AS-11 Kilter) anti-radiation missile. References indicate that launch weight is 640kg, each missile has a 150 kg blast fragmentation warhead and uses inertial mid course guidance and the passive radar homing with a range between 70 and 150km depending on launch altitude. The BM airframe was different to the standard P/PD as follows :

  ·        Extended nose more conical in shape than the P/PD versions to house EW and emitter detector systems. These noses were painted with a false grey radome in an attempt to resemble to P/PD interceptor.

  ·        Distinctive antennae on the intake cheeks and forward fuselage sides

  ·        Revised inboard pylons (I assume to take the Kh-58 missile launch rail).

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg 

  The Revell kit is a dog. I had to rescribe as many panel lines as possible as the limited panel lines on the kit are raised. I bought the NeoMega cockpit set which is an absolute must considering the lack of kit cockpit detail. I also bought the Eduard exhaust, interior (landing gear wells and intake detail) and exterior photo etch sets. These are also definite musts, especially the exhaust set as the kit parts are anemic and too shallow. The fit of the kit is bad and lots of filler was required all over. The kit does not provide the prominent engine bleed air ducts on the top of the intakes. I scratch built these with plastic card before realizing that the Eduard interior set provides the ducts in neat photo etch sections. The kit inboard pylons were modified. The intake cheek antennae were scratch built from plastic card. The entire nose was made from a block of laminated Evergreen plastic bar and then rough shaped on a lathe. Final sanding to provide the conical shape took ages. Panel lines were scribed. Luckily this solid nose provided sufficient ballast to keep the aircraft from becoming a tail sitter. The missiles were also scratch built using laminated bar and a lathe (thanks Jonathan). I initially thought of using the kit missiles as the basis but realized that they were too small in diameter. The nose pitot was also scratch built with plastic card vanes.

  The exhaust nozzles and afterburner cans were a real challenge. Rolling the Eduard exhaust cans to provide a nice symmetrical cylinder was a lot more difficult than I anticipated. The Eduard afterburner cans have no detail - they are flat pieces of sheet which must be rolled. I used a technique I learnt from a fellow modeler in Greece - I took a similar size section of thin plastic card, glued sections of stretched sprue lengthwise and covered this with tin foil which was then rubbed down over the sprue to provide a suitably corrugated effect (thanks Yiannis !). The end result is 1,000 times better than the kit parts. Painting the exhausts and the bare metal areas on the rear fuselage was a challenge. I painted the bare metal areas as follows - Tamiya X-18 black, overspray with X-11 silver, heat discoloration using black and orange pastel and dry brushing with Humbrol H52 metallic blue. The exhaust nozzles were treated in a similar fashion but had an added wash of white spirit / black oil paint mix, over sprayed with thinned Tamiya X-26 clear orange. This is a new technique for me and I'm reasonably happy with the result.

          

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here 

  I used Bort 37 as my subject matter. There are several photos of this aircraft in a very tatty looking tactical camouflage scheme based in Eastern Europe. I don't find the plain grey versions too interesting so I decided to try to replicate this aircraft. I could not find photos of the top surfaces or port side so had to use a bit of artistic licence based on the starboard image. Preshading of panel lines was done using Tamiya X-18 black. I used XtraColour gloss paints - X626 light blue for the undersides. Upper camouflage was a combination of X-617 tan, X-620 light green, X-619 red/brown + spot X-617 and X-616 dark green over sprayed with thinned X-618 dark green. The upper camouflage was applied freehand in a random fashion using a Badger 200 airbrush. The radome on the subject aircraft looks to be a faded grey/blue colour - I replicated this with a mix of Testors RLM75 + 30% Tamiya XF-18.

  Revell decals are notoriously nasty in terms of conforming to a model's surface. However, the decals were printed beautifully (especially all the intricate stencils) so I decided to use them. I applied the decals using Future as a decal setting agent - only problem - when dry, Future yellows - this is particularly visible on the light blue underside. I had to make my own Bort 37 markings - this was achieved using adhesive clear laminate cut to shape with a sharp knife, applied to the aircraft and sprayed white. This worked out very well. After a long evening of decaling, it was time for weathering. As per routine, I weathered using raw umber pastel for the undersides and dark grey pastel for the upper camouflaged surfaces. The raw umber pastelling on the underside helped to detract from the nasty yellow decal patches. Some subdued chipping was done using Tamiya X-11 silver.

  That's it then - another model for the cupboard.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 018.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 37.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 37.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 38.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 38.jpg 

   

  Regards

  Malcolm Reid

  Area Manager - Balance of Plant

  Tel:      +27 12 641 1432            

  Fax:     +27 12 641 2706

  Mobile: +27 83 290 6173

  Pebble Bed Modular Reactor (Pty) Ltd

  1279 Mike Crawford Avenue, Centurion, South Africa

  PO Box 9396, Centurion, 0046, South Africa

  Switchboard: +27 12 641 1000

  The perusal, use, dissemination, copying or storing of this message or its attachments and the opening of attachments is subject to PBMR's standard email disclaimer available at internet address: Pebble Bed Modular Reactor (Pty) Ltd - Disclaimer or on request from the sender.