Subject: Re: Hi Steve - here's a another submission for ARC - Impala MkII
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Malcolm Reid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:56:43 -0800

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Malcolm Reid 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 12:43 AM
  Subject: FW: Hi Steve - here's a another submission for ARC - Impala MkII

   

  Gallery Template #05

  "1/48 Esci Impala MkII (MB-326K)" 

  by "Malcolm Reid"
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here 

   

  This is the Esci Aermacchi MB-326K in its Impala MkII version as used by the South African Air Force (SAAF). The Impala MkII was a single seat development of the two seat MB-326 trainer aircraft produced by Aermacchi. The Impala MkII (and its two seat counterpart, the MkI) were produced under licence in South Africa by the then Atlas Aviation. Approximately 100 MkIIs were produced to provide the South African Air Force (SAAF) with a light strike aircraft. These aircraft saw extensive combat operations in the "bush" war on the border of Namibia (South West Africa) and Angola in the 70's and 80's. One of the most famous stories is of a flight of Impalas ambushing several Angolan Air Force Mi-17 and Mi-25 helicopters on two occasions, in the process scoring 6 kills (http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_193.shtml and http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_183.shtml ).

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg 

  The Impala MkII has now been retired from SAAF service and replaced by the Hawk LIFT. I decided to model an aircraft in the final colour scheme used by the SAAF (as represented in the beautiful book Soaring with Eagles). The Impala MkIIs received an upgrade during the bush war to provide improved defence against SAMs - this consisted of an RWR system with prominent antennae on each wingtip fuel tank's leading and trailing edge as well as beneath the nose. The aircraft was also fitted with chaff / flare dispenser pods beneath each wing just aft of the main landing gear wells. These were scratch built and added to the basic Esci kit. The Esci kit is actually a peach with finely recessed panel lines and a reasonable level of detail. The kit seat was modified through the addition of seat belts (using Tamiya tape) and other details. Assembly of the kit posed no problems, the fit being rather good. Weapons choice was a combination of fuel tanks, Mk-82 bombs and 6 shot Matra rocket pods. The kit rocket pods are of the larger 18 shot type which weren't used on the Impala. Luckily, someone on the SA IMPS website provided the solution - the kit gun pods were used as the body of the rocket pod and the front section of each 18 shot rocket pod was cut off and attached thereby providing a neat solution for a 6 shot rocket pod. Mk 82 bombs were found in the spares box.

          

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here 

  Painting was done as follows - underside 50% Model Master Intermediate Blue FS35164 and 50% Tamiya X2 white. Upper camouflage was a combination of brown (XtraColour X-224 RLM79 + spot X-18 black) and Green (XtraColour X-113 faded OD over sprayed with X-116 FS14102). SAAF decals are provided in the kit but these were old and cracked up when put in water. No alternative but to make my own - and thus I embarked on a long, tedious and frustrating (but ultimately satisfying) journey of discovery. Using a sample aircraft at the SAAF museum in Pretoria and another at the Johannesburg war museum, I managed to get accurate details of all markings and stenciling of late scheme aircraft. These were replicated and brought to scale using CorelDraw. Printing was done using a Canon inkjet printer onto Experts-Choice clear decal film. The printed decals were then varnished with Testors gloss varnish to protect the ink from running. This worked well and each decal was applied with Micro Set and Sol. A light dusting of semi-gloss varnish was applied followed by weathering with dark grey pastels. A final coat of mat varnish was applied. This is a beautiful little aircraft which packed a mean punch. It will be truly missed - apparently a number of MkI's have been bought by enthusiasts in the USA and the Brazilian Air Force to supplement their ageing force.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 018.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 37.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 37.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 38.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 38.jpg 

   

  Regards

  Malcolm Reid

  Area Manager - Balance of Plant

  Tel:      +27 12 641 1432            

  Fax:     +27 12 641 2706

  Mobile: +27 83 290 6173

  Pebble Bed Modular Reactor (Pty) Ltd

  1279 Mike Crawford Avenue, Centurion, South Africa

  PO Box 9396, Centurion, 0046, South Africa

  Switchboard: +27 12 641 1000

  The perusal, use, dissemination, copying or storing of this message or its attachments and the opening of attachments is subject to PBMR's standard email disclaimer available at internet address: Pebble Bed Modular Reactor (Pty) Ltd - Disclaimer or on request from the sender.