Subject: Re: Submission: 1/48 Trumpeter F9F-2 Panther. Thanks!
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Eric Hargett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:48:39 -0800

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Eric Hargett 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:34 PM
  Subject: Submission: 1/48 Trumpeter F9F-2 Panther. Thanks!

  Gallery Template #05

  1/48 Trumpeter F9F-2 Panther

  by Eric Hargett
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here  

  After months of working with limited run kits where a lot of energy is spent fixing problems and improving with aftermarket items, it's nice to take a break and complete a well-engineered kit OOB without a lot of effort.  We've all needed that little 'refresher' which helps you prepare for the next complex kit and remind you that this hobby is supposed to be fun!  Well, that 'refresher' for me was Trumpeter's 1/48 Grumman F9F-2 Panther.  Out of the box, this kit is well detailed and goes together without any problems.  This kit is so nice, I didn't feel the need to improve it with many aftermarket items.  Okay...except for aftermarket decals and some photoetch seatbelts.  Using SuperScales No. 48-1182 Decals for USN & USMC F9F-2 Panthers for VF-31 and VMF-311, my Panther was finished with markings for F9F-2 No. 125130 of VF-31 on board USS Leyte in 1951.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg 

          
        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here  

  The cockpit and wheel wells were painted interior green (this is the true color - not white or yellow chromate) and weathered and drybrushed with oils to bring out the details.  Edward photoetch seatbelts were applied.  Prior to assembling the fuselage, be sure to add plenty of weight to the nose or you'll have a tail sitter.  With the kit construction complete, I painted the leading edges and wing tank tips with Model Master Aluminum Metalizer and buffed with a cotton cloth.  Future was applied to the aluminum areas and then masked.  Model Master Dark Sea Blue was then applied over the entire model.  I've seen a few modelers fade the panels on this aircraft with a lightened Dark Sea Blue, yet according to references, this is incorrect.  Despite the effects of sun, sea and war, the Dark Sea Blue paint on the original aircraft did not fade enough to be detectable.  The Dark Sea Blue paint on the original aircraft was virtually weather-resistent.  Because of the paint's weather-resistent nature, paint chipping was a rarity on the real aircraft, so I chose not to simulate any on my kit.  A few smudges and streaks were then applied with oils and pastels to simulate grime, hydraulic leaks and soot from the gun ports.  Most of the weathering is barely noticible with the Dark Sea Blue paint.  No need to apply a wash to panel lines - you won't be able to see it anyway with the Dark Sea Blue!  

  The US Navy kept these birds well maintained, so a glossy finish was in order.  With the painting completed, I applied the decals and sealed with three coats of Future.    The high gloss finish was a bit too much for the kit, so I 'scaled-down' the gloss by applying a 50/50 mixture of clear satin and clear semi-gloss.

  What US Korean warbird collection is complete without a Panther?  This was a joy to build and a nice break from limited run kits.  In all, I spent about 18 hours on the kit and am very pleased with the result.  Now its time to reenter the world of limited-run kits..........

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 018.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 37.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 37.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 38.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 38.jpg 

  Photos and text © by Eric Hargett