Subject: Re: 102nd Fighter Wing / Massachusetts Air National Guard Legacy Project Part 2
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ken Middleton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:06:27 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Ken Middleton 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:37 AM
  Subject: 102nd Fighter Wing / Massachusetts Air National Guard Legacy Project Part 2

  102nd Fighter Wing / Massachusetts Air National Guard Legacy Project 

  Part 2 

  by Ken Middleton
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here 

  Here is part 2 of a 3-part article on the 102nd FW Legacy Project I recently completed. Some of the decals were available in commercial form, and some I had to create. All models are 1/48th scale, and will be donated to the unit for display at Otis Air National Guard Base.

  F-84F
  For the F-84F, I used Monograms' P-84F kit. For the kit's age, I was really impressed with it. I made the numbers and letters on the computer and printed them, and once again, had a bit of a silvering problem. To make the clover leaf trim fuel tank markings, I painted them white, and then used Microscale's green trim film and clover leafs from an F-4J Eagle Strike sheet that included VMFA-333. They are a bit oversized, but acceptable.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 02.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 02.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 06.jpg here 

   

  F-100D
  The unit only flew the F-100D for a couple of years before switching to the F-106. The markings I chose are worn by a plane on a pole at Otis, and I don't think one was ever marked this way operationally. I used the Monogram kit, and made the tail band with Microscale green trim film. I covered it with Future to seal it, because I would be applying the letter decals to the band before placing on the kit. It was easier to work with it on a flat surface, and needed to protect the green band from the water on the letter decals. Other markings were from spare decals, and thanks to Dave aka "The Phantom Two".

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 11.jpg here 

   

  F-106
  The Monogram F-106, using Experts Choice decals, was done completely out of the box. To prevent a tail-sitter, I inserted quite a lot of fishing weights in the forward fuselage; I don't know how much, but it is very heavy.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 16.jpg here 

   

  T-33
  I used the Testors T-33 kit and Experts Choice 1/72nd F-106 decals for the markings. Also, thanks to "breadboard" and "Trigger" for extra T-33 decals that were used as well. The tail markings were a bit tricky, and not 100% the same as the real plane, but close enough. 

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 18.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 21.jpg here 

   

  F-15A Old School
  For the F-15A Old School (ghost grey scheme), I used the Academy F-15C backdated to an A, and the Experts Choice decals for the unit. I had to change the wheels, and after some dilemma of which gear parts to use from the kit and the Monogram F-15 kit, I decided to use the kit's main gear, back wheels and the Monogram front wheel and hub. The Monogram gear was much different, and this was the best solution as a solid gear connection was critical. I also dropped the ailerons.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg 

   

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg 

   

  Part 3 will be a single model article.an F-15 depicting its launch on 11 September 2001.

  Ken

  Photos and text © by Ken Middleton