Aircraft Resource Center

                                 

102nd Fighter Wing

Massachusetts Air National Guard Legacy Project 

Part 3
“First Responder Eagle”

  by Ken Middleton

--------------------

Birthday-announcement banner

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

 

Gal mainpage Ad below main pic

Here is part 3 of a 3-part article on the 102nd FW Legacy Project I recently completed. This final part focuses on the “First Responder Eagle” display which represents F-15A 77-0102 on the moment of launch on 11 September 2001 . As with the rest of the models, this is 1/48th scale, and will be donated to the unit for display at Otis Air National Guard Base.

I used the Academy F-15C kit and Two Bobs decals. The Academy kit comes with the option for dropped intakes, which is exactly what I needed for a launching display. The landing gear would be in retracting-mode, and I didn’t worry too much about the look and operation within the gear wells, but how it looked from the side. A large display base was needed, and it ended up being 1 foot wide by 2 feet long. I created a blurred runway and printed it, and attached it to sheet plastic.

The load would consist of 3 fuel tanks, 2 AIM -9s and 2 AIM -7s.

Model Preparation for an In-Flight Display
With the in-flight display, I needed to have brass tubing within the fuselage, and passed through the afterburner cans. After careful measuring and fiddling, I got the alignment and secured them with 5 minute epoxy. I then moved onto the nose and main gear, and extended the oleo portions with aluminum tubing.
 

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

 

Two of the three main gears are molded shut, so I had to make them from sheet plastic. I simply traced along the panel lines onto paper, and transferred that to the plastic. I was not about to cut out the opening for the gear bay – that was too much work. The above photo shows the mock-up.  

The Display Base
The display base ended up being not as complicated as I had envisioned. Strolling through my local Home Depot store looking for a suitable base, I came across a stair/step used in home stairwells. It was made of hard pine, and measured one foot wide and four feet long – and cost around $10 USD. I had them cut it in half at two feet, and I had two bases.

I used Plastruct ˝ inch acrylic rod bent with a heating gun for the clear supports.

I measured where I needed the brass tubes to hold the acrylic rod by lining up the back of the model, and drilled the holes with wood-boring bits. To make the blurred runway, I created it in Photoshop Elements, and printed it. I used spray adhesive and attached it to sheet plastic cut to size.

I brushed 3 coats of Future on the wood base, with sanding in between each dried coat.

Once that was complete, I attached the runway to the wood base with Liquid Nails glue and placed 2 phone books to hold it down. I also added the 3 patches, and the brass plaque I had made at the local trophy shop.

 

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

 

The landing gear was secured with 5 minute epoxy, and the usual final decaling and assembly proceeded.

Working every single day for a minimum of an hour, it took about 5 weeks and around 45 hours. Though one of the most challenging projects I have ever done, it was the most gratifying.

Ken  

Click here for Part 1 of this article

Click here for Part 2 of this article

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

  

  

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

Vertical ad

Photos and text © by Ken Middleton

footer banner