Subject: Re: 1/48 EA-6B Prowler (Revision) If this doesn't work, I'll have my 15 year old daughter help me!
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Pete Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 23:54:37 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Pete Brown 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 8:23 AM
  Subject: 1/48 EA-6B Prowler (Revision) If this doesn't work, I'll have my 15 year old daughter help me!

  "1/48 EA-6B Prowler" 

  by "Pete Brown"
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B1052.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B1052.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> here 

  This is my Revell-Monogram EA-6B Prowler. 

  Enough has been previously mentioned on these forums concerning the kit and the aircraft itself, so I will not go into those details.

  This United States Navy Prowler model represents BuNo. 161350 of VAQ -141 "Shadowhawks" from the USS Enterprise, CVN-65.

  A list of aftermarket sets used were;

  Black Box Cockpit

  Black Box Resin Wheels

  Cutting Edge Correction Set

  Cutting Edge Wingfold Set

  Cutting Edge HARM Missile

  Areomaster and CAM Decals

  Waldron Jet Mirrors 

  Testors Model Master enamel and acrylic paints were used for the TPS scheme.

  Dark Ghost Grey (FS 36320), Light Ghost Grey (FS 36375), and Medium Grey (FS 35237).

  Weathering was done with pastels, dry brushing, and an oil paint wash.

  A little bit of scratch building was required on this build.

  I used some excellent techniques offered in EA-6B articles by Jim Rotramel, Darren Roberts, and Marv Mays.

  New support brackets were made and repositioned on the canopy framing, overhead consoles were added to each canopy, a rain removal device on the windscreen, and additional detail to the landing gear.

  Many photo references were used from internet sites, and the ARC Walkaround section.

  EA-6B books from Squadron and Detail and Scale were valuable resources as well.

  I used the clear canopies rather than the "yellow" ones. I lightly tinted the canopies by dipping in a concoction of brown, red, and yellow food coloring, mixed with Future.

  The big Shadowhawk decal was a real challenge due to the complex shape of the tail. A lot of cutting and setting solution was required to get it to lay down properly.

  Then some careful touch up painting to "feather" it all together. 

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B5055.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B5055.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B5055.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B5055.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B6056.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B6056.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B6056.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B6056.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B4054.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B4054.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B4054.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B4054.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B2053.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B2053.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo<a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B2053.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B2053.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

  I have another Revell-Monogram EA-6B in the stash that I may do as a USMC Prowler.

  Or, I may just have to get the new USN release by Afterburner Decals, 48-028 Jammin' Jihad.

  It has a couple of very cool camouflage versions from units in Afghanistan 2006/2007.

  Fortunately, I also have the Cutting Edge sets I purchased before Meteor closed their doors.

  On the next build, I will be installing Seamless Suckers intakes, and a wheel set from Royale Resins.

  I think I'm going to try doing deployed boarding platforms and ladders on both sides too.

  Dave Roof is said to be releasing a Prowler correction set sometime in the future. I may just hold of building the next one until then.

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=MONOEA-6B7057.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/MONOEA-6B7057.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> here 

  For some reason I've always liked the Prowler. I guess because it's a little different. I've heard some people refer to it as the "station wagon".

  Whenever I'm up in the Puget Sound area, I love watching and hearing them fly over from NAS Whidbey Island.

  Maybe one day there will be another, more accurate 1/48 Prowler offered by a model company.

  And if they really want to get with the program, a 1/32 rendition! Now were talkin'!

  Pete

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=EA-6Bclose045.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/EA-6Bclose045.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo <a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/?action=view&current=EA-6Bclose045.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/petebuilt/EA-6Bclose045.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 018.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 37.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 37.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 38.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 38.jpg

  Photos and text © by "Pete Brown"