Subject: Re: Revell 1/32 Messerschmitt 109
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "De Sanctis Paolo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 20:22:44 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: De Sanctis Paolo 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 1:20 PM
  Subject: Revell 1/32 Messerschmitt 109

  Gallery Template #05

  "1/32 Messerschmitt Bf.109 F-1" 

  by "Paolo De Sanctis"
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here 

  At the end of 1940 a new version of the Messerschmitt 109 fighter appeared. She was the famous and much improved Me. Bf. 109F with its -1 variant. Fitted with the previous model's 1200 Hp DB 601N engine she developed some "theething problems", like the breakdown of the entire tail when in flight. To overcome the problem early machines were fitted with stronger stiffeners on the tail.  The new variant quickly became a very pure-breed horse and was supplied firstly to the Channel front outstanding units, like JG 26 and JG 51.

  THE MODEL

  Some ten years ago I'was presented with an old and built 1/32 Revell Kit.  The previous modeller had built and hand-brush painted it quite good, with appropriate RLM colours, but unfortunately those colours were wrong because all green/blues manned.

           So I' decided to dismantle it completely and rebuild it, after clearing its parts with bleach after a bet with myself. Once washed off the parts I' rebuilt the kit including as many as possible details. The engine, after painting in Humbrol  "engine grey" had, all piping and wires added and all details painted in the appropriate colours as well.

  A firewall plasticard bulkhead was added, with detailed oil radiator matrix and drilled exhaust stacks. The cowl MG were drilled also. Other works were the wheel wells, boxed in and entirely detailed with ribs and spars. The oleo legs were added with brakes pipes and then fixed in place. The cockpit was fully detailed with scratchbuilt sandwich instruments panel, the ReVi gunsight, cloche, pedals, the MG/FF cannon fairing, and all the oxygen, fuel pipes and other items.  The pilot's seat had the belts added on and the two fuselage itself were stretched using some scratch plastic near the fin. Then the entire model was assembled once again.

  Since the bad conditions of the wrecked kit it was almost impossible for me to lower the flap/slats, and according to this I'elected to fix all movable surfaces to neutral position ("in case of doubt, better do nothing!", by great Chris Ellis). The folding part of the canopy was obtained cutting off the clear windows with a hot blade, carefully sanding the remaining frames and adding its with new polyglaze bits.  

  Once assembled the kit once more it needed quite a lot of body putty filler and many panel and details were rescribed. The four tail stiffeners obtained from plasticard were carefully added. The 109F-1 early production batch retained their squared wheel wells. Once completed and carefully trimmed and sanded, the model was polished and then washed to clear off the work remnants . It was duly masked with Maskol and received a first coat of Humbrol H64 primer paint so to discover any faults.

  When satisfied with it I' painted its undersurfaces in RLM76 wich, with the help of my useful FS595a book was Humbrol 127;  the uppersurfaces were accordingly painted in RLM74/75 wich result, albeit for me, with H.32 and H.125 rispectively.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here 

       

         When the model dried I' applied a thin layer of Humbrol gloss cote in order to rescribe all the panels lines with a dark brown ink and to apply decals. These one were from a Superscale sheet wich comprised the Marseille's and Moelders mounts. I' choose the Moelder's one with the beautiful falcon insignia on the cowl to represent the JG51's Kommodore machine when based at S. Omer, France, in the Spring 1941. The decals reacted very well with Mark Softer and, since I' hate the svastika I' left it behind.

  Final steps were the spraing of the entire model with Humbrol satin cote and the applications of stains and engine' smokes with airbrush and pastels. This is my second 1/32 kit since I'started my modelling life and I'tried many tecniques with it. I' hope it may be quite good. 

  Paolo.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 018.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 37.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 37.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 38.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 38.jpg 

  Photos and text © by "your name goes here"

  --------------------------------------------------------------------
  CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
  This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
  above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
  the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
  is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
  the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by
  replying to [email-masked].
          Thank you
                                          www.telecomitalia.it
  --------------------------------------------------------------------