Subject: Re: "1/48 Classic Airframes de Havilland F.Mk.3 Hornet"
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "michael presley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:04:04 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: michael presley 
  To: Steve Bamford ARC 
  Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:07 PM
  Subject: "1/48 Classic Airframes de Havilland F.Mk.3 Hornet" 

  Gallery Template #05

  "1/48 Classic Airframes  

  de Havilland F.Mk.3 Hornet" 

  by Michael Presley
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here  

     While there are many canidates for the (60-odd year old ) title, "Ultimate Piston Fighter"  (meaning  a  operational, production aircraft ) , the Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat, the Hawker Sea Fury, North American P-51H Mustang, and Supermarine Spitfire Mk.22-24 being among the many popular contenders, there is quite a number who would nominate the deHavilland Hornet (and Sea Hornet ), with justifiable reason.  It was the fastest piston aircraft ever operated by the Armed forces of Great BritaIn (the Supermarine Spiteful was NOT an operational aircraft, and was built for testing in very limited numbers, as was the Goodyear F-2G Super Corsair, Dornier Do.335 Pheil, and Republic XP-47J , and XP-72 Thunderbolts ), as a matter of fact, it replaced one contender, the Spitfire Mk. 22-24, in R.A.F. service.  It was probably only second behind the P-51H in terms of raw speed. It was certainly the fastest climbing piston fighter in British service, as well, being second only to the Bearcat in this reguard (both having much superior initial climb rates than any jet fighter for years to come). It also competed with the Grumman product in terms of harmony of controls, and for the sheer joy of flying (many of the last piston fighters were not as popular with experienced pilots, as the earlier marks,...the F4U-5, P-51H, Bf-109G-K, and Griffon powered Spitfires, notibly so...the Bearcat, & Hornet, while derived from the earlier Hellcat, & Mosquito, were totally new designs).  The Hornet served the Royal Air Force in front line duty well into the 50s, being withdrawn from service in 1955, (and sadly) with all examples being scrapped.  The Classic Airframes Hornet, and Sea Hornet kits were put on the market early this decade, and are (delightfully) still in production (unlike most of CA's offerings which have truly been "limited run").  Like all Classic Airframes kits, it is mixed media (low pressure injection styrene, resin, with vacuformed clear parts), without alignment pins, or slots, and is better left to experienced modelers (or modelers who will be 'experienced' some day).  The kit comes with two vertical stab-rudders, which allows you to build either the early F.1 model (without dorsal fin, although many F.1s  were retrofitted with the dorsal), or the later F.3. I strongly suggest the "Warpaint Series No. 19 , de Havilland Hornet"  by Tony Butler as the best (and nearly ONLY) printed reference source (although there is some good information online). I also purchased Xtradecal's sheet #XD42-48 to have a broader selection of markings. I decided to build PX293 (coded QV-A), as it appeared while serving as the mount of No. 65 Sqaudron's C.O. at R.A.F. Church Fenton, Yorkshire during 1950.  I found three curious contradictions in my reference concerning this aircraft. Xtradecals' instructions refer to it as a F.Mk.1 (obiviously with the dorsal retrofit ) , while Warpaint No.19  calls it an F.Mk.3 , and states that PX293 was at Church Fenton from 1951-52. The other contraction being the color line of the PRU Blue on the fuselage underside. Warpaint's profile art shows it as a straight line from wing trailing edge to tail cone, while Xtradecall's shows it to swoop up under the horizonal tail. I subjectively decided I liked the latter, and painted so, as there were no photos to settle the matter. Interestingly, on page 32 of WP-19 there is a photo of PX-293 about to be scrapped in 1955. However, it is in the later Dk. Green, Dk. Sea Gray, with PRU Blue underside scheme.                          

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg 

  I built the kit pretty much out of box with a few exceptions. Firstly, I elected to use True Details' resin Sea Fury wheels. I believe ( although not 100% sure ) the wheel, brake and tire (tyre, in British ) assembly was interchangable with that of the Sea Fury, which would have certainly have simplified parts inventory on Royal Navy carriers. At any rate, the TD pieces are exactly the same wheel style, diameter, and width, only with a nice tread, and wheel brake venting on the inside (plus they just look prettier) .  I drilled my own alignment holes for fuselage, wing halves, and guides for the horizonal stabs using needle bits for pins. I also used brass tube for wing spars, articulated the rudder and elevator using copper wire for hinges. A P-51 gunsight was thinned down & added to an otherwised beautifully detailed resin cockpit (which paints up nicely, and drops in place without undue filing, and fitting). I thinned, and twisted the prop blades to match reference photos, and as the props are "handed" (from the rear, the port engine rotates clockwise, & the starboard engine rotates counter...inward from the top of the arc), I found it useful to color code each blade with a drop of paint on it's base...red for port, green for starboard. Although you are probably brighter than I am, and have no need of such "crutches",  I found it saved me undue confusion. The 20 mm shell ejection chutes were also opened.  I used stainless wire for the rather long whip antenna, & jeweler's solder for the brake lines. One area of concern is the forward rake of the main gear struts. CA doesn't really provide a stop or pin for getting the proper angle. Judging from every available photo, and 3 view drawing, the angle is fairly severe (forward swept). I found butting the gear leg almost to the front of the wheel well opening to look just about right. All paint was Testors Model Master. Although challenging (as all "limited run" kits tend to be) , I found it to be a fun build of one of the most graceful of airplanes (aeroplanes).  Hopefully Classic Airframes will continue to keep these beauties on the market.  However if the D.H. Hornet appeals to you, I'd put one in my personal inventory tomorrow, even if you judge your skills presently inadequate for the build. I would hate to wake up and find them gone, & if you're an older modeler (like me), you know exactly how that feels...

                                                                                                                                                  -Prez

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here  

  You can add the final text about your article here.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 018.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 37.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 37.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 38.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 38.jpg 

  Photos and text © by "Michael Presley"