Subject: Re: Dan Parsons' submission, F-86E vs. MIG-15
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Daniel Parsons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:12:39 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Daniel Parsons 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 2:01 PM
  Subject: Dan Parsons' submission, F-86E vs. MIG-15

  Gallery Template #05

  'Have Guns...will Dance' 

  by Dan Parsons
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here  

  Here is my latest creation. It has been a long while since I last featured any of my work here on ARC (aside from the casual posting of pics in the Forums). Laziness mostly on my part. This project turned out much better than I was expecting so I figured I'd get a cup of coffee, pull up a seat, and do what has to be done. 

  A number of years back, I picked up an Academy F-86E Sabre kit in 1/72nd scale (the scale I prefer) at my local hobby shop. It was my first time building a Sabre and I loved it for its sleek lines, the shiny silverness and colorful decorations. So different from the drab aircraft we see today and so pleasing to the eye. While I sat there examining it in its plastic, an idea popped into my head. Wouldn't it be cool to build this in 'in-flight' mode. Immediately following that thought came, 'What if I put it next to its arch-enemy?' 'What if build a MIG-15 'in-flight' as well?' Unfortunately, the beginning of this story does not have a happy ending. It was my first attempt at Bare Metal Finish, my work space where I was living at the time was not conducive to dust free paint jobs. Long story short, it was a complete disaster of an attempt. I ended up junking the build (something that rarely happens) and that was the end of that.

  Fast forward to now. I have a MUCH better workspace in my current abode. I am working on another self-imagined project (me and my %$^@& ideas) which essentially has me building the first 10 years of US Airforce and Navy jet aviation in 1/72nd scale. More on that at a later date. I needed a side project to fiddle with when the monotony of scratch building and line scribing had gotten to be too much. I had picked up a KOPRO 1/72 MIG-15 a while back and 6 months ago, I was sitting there and decided to open her up. This immediately reminded me of the 'Versus' scenario I had dreamed up long before. I had by now completed a couple jets which had turned out quite nicely in BMF so my confidence was in place. I picked up another Academy F-86E kit and the rest is history.

  My mom always told me, 'If at first you don't succeed...try, try again.' Apparently, she was right...

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg 

  One night as I was building the cockpit of the F-86, another idea popped into my head. 'Wouldn't it be hilarious if I had the American pilot flipping the Russian pilot off?' It was part homage to the movie 'Top Gun' and part experience driving in California. Although I cannot prove that this actually happened back then, I'm sure its not too far reaching. Hard to focus in on the pilot but hopefully you can make it out.

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here  

  All in all, it was a fun side project. The builds went quickly. The KOPRO kit was not great and not horrible. Raised panel lines which I chose to sand down a little to reduce their appearance and no cockpit detail. This didn't matter as it was in flight. The Sabre kit was a breeze and a complete joy to build. I would highly recommend. I built the wooden base myself, stained it and had the face plate made at a local trophy store. I'm starting to like working with wood as a medium as well. Anyway, it was all a lot of fun to build and might lead to other similar projects in the future..we shall see. Enjoy!!!

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 018.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 37.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 37.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 38.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 38.jpg 

  Photos and text © by Dan Parsons

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. Enter for your chance to win. Enter Now!