Aircraft Resource Center

                                 

1/48 Tamiya P-51B

by Alan Williamson

--------------------

Birthday-announcement banner

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

Gal mainpage Ad below main pic

Kit: Tamiya P-51B 61042

Addition: 

  • Aires P-51B/Cockpit Set 4223

  • Ultracsat P-51B/C Seat 48015

Construction:

I decided that I wanted to build another Tamiya P-51B to replace the one I built about five years ago, I was not happy with the finished outcome.  I sent Calum an E-mail and placed an order for two P-51B's and two more P-51D's, seem to be going though a Mustang stage. When the kits arrived in the post I went to work I normally have around ten kits on the go at any given time and starting this was no exception. The last P-51B I built, I used the Eduard cockpit set.  This time I wanted to use the Aires P-51B cockpit set. With that in mind I sent Craig at Aeroworks and E-mail to order the Aries cockpit. While I waited for the cockpit to arrive, I set to work on stripping the decals and paint off my old P-51B, ready for a new look.  When the Aires cockpit arrived in post I started the build.  I set to work on making room for the cockpit to fit in the kit, I removed all of the detail on the insides of the fuselage halves with my sanding drill, once completed, I re-scribed the entire kit like I do and then started on the Aires cockpit.  I painted the cockpit in Model Master Cockpit Green with black boxes, with a dry brush of sliver over the top.  The cockpit was now ready to dirty up, I used the Tamiya weathering Master set B great stuff, to add some depth and life to the cockpit.  Once I was happy with the dirty grimy effect I sealed the weathering wash by airbrushing some matt clear over the cockpit.  Now it was time assemble the cockpit with the fuselage halves, unlike other Aires cockpits that I have used, this one went together and fit into the kit with little fuss.  In the past I have found that with an Aires cockpit I normally have trouble assembling the two halves of the kit together and end up with a substantial  gap around cockpit halves.  But in this case the kit halves joined almost seamless and the rest of the build went almost flawless.

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

Paint:

I painted the overall kit in Model Master Aluminium Plate followed up with Model Master Olive Drab 34087 and Neutral Grey FS3621.  After the paint had dried, I gave the kit a wet rub to expose some of the Aluminium Plate underneath and then airbrushed a layer of Gloss clear ready for the decals. I liked the decal scheme Shangri-La and since I was building this one to replace the other kit also Shangri-La, I went with the same decals.  Shangri-La was flow by Capt. Don S. Gentile 336th FS/ 4th FG 1944.  Once the decals were applied, I covered the kit with a layer of Gloss clear to seal the decals and prepare it for the pastel wash.  Now that the panel lines were highlighted, I sealed the Pastel in with an other coat of clear followed up with a coat of matt clear.  I then used the Tamiya weathering set B to add exhaust stains, gun stains and to dirty up the wheel well, and sealed them with a light coat of matt clear.

Finish:

It was time to add the finishing touches landing gear + doors and cockpit window.  The first P-51B I built I stuffed up the cockpit window and could not display it opened, I made sure not to make the same mistake again this time.

Thanks:

  • To Steve Bamford again for all his work with the ARC
  • To Calum for all the kits I have received off him lost count. Pay Calum a visit at www.gibstuff.net for a great look at kits for sale, kits Calum is building and photos of aircraft and ships.
  • To Craig from Aeroworks for the Aires cockpit and Ultracast seat drop Craig an E-mail for a product list for mail ordering aeroworks@iprimus.com.au

Alan

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

  

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

Vertical ad

Photos and text by Alan Williamson

footer banner