Subject: Re: 48th scale Hasegawa CF-18 Hornet - 416 Sqn Special
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Derek Heyes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:46:56 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Derek Heyes 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 10:14 PM
  Subject: 48th scale Hasegawa CF-18 Hornet - 416 Sqn Special

  Gallery Template #05

  "1/48th Hasegawa CF-18 Hornet "

  " 416 Lynx Special"

  by "Derek "HAZER" Heyes"
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here  

  There have been many reviews on the Hasegawa kit so I will not cover what is already known.  For this project I wanted to depict a CF-18 Hornet on QRA "Quick Reaction Alert". Since 9-11, CF-18's have been forward deployed to bases across Canada to protect our airspace under the NORAD Operation known as Noble Eagle.  19 Wing, Comox located on the West Coast of Canada has Hornets deployed at different times throughout the year to stand QRA, one jet that is usually there is 188712. In 2001, this jet was painted with 60th Anniversary markings for the now deactivated 416 "Lynx" Squadron based at 4 Wing Cold Lake, Alberta. Even though the jet now operates with its new squadron, 409 "Nighthawks", the special Lynx markings are still present. The last photo in this article has a photo I shot early this year, I used this photo as my inspiration. What more could a modeller want, a specially marked jet that is usually  loaded with live weapons! Luckily, Leading Edge Models makes the decals for this jet and with the addition of a True Detail resin ejection seat and some missiles from the spare parts box, this kit is out of the box.

  Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg 

          
        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here  

  The construction of the kit started with the spotlight. The kit instructions do show you how to install the clear lens but I like to go a little further. Using some sheet styrene, I make a box that the bulb will attach to and will be visible when seen on the completed model (photos 3 and 4). Now on to the cockpit, it is straight forward and the resin seat does make a big difference. Once the majority of the kit is built, I use my Iwata airbrush and black paint to highlight the panel lines. Once dry, I start painting the underside with Model Master 36375 Light Ghost Grey, use many light coats for this process as you do not want to lose the effect of the preshaded panel lines. Then move to the top of the jet, using Model Master 35237 Medium Grey, I continue with the light coats of paint. Then came the black for the tails and the painting of the false canopy using Model Master 36118 Gunship Grey.  I masked the landing gear bays and ladder enclosure and painted them white.

   Focusing now on the landing gear and missiles. This again is straight forward. The weapons were painted Light Ghost Grey with a mix of black, green and metallic for the fins. Finishing off the markings using the TwoBobs AIM-7 and AIM-9 decal sheet. 

   Allowing the jet to dry for a few days, I painted three coats of Future to produce a shiny surface to apply a wash and then the decals. The wash was your usual thinner, burnt umber and black mix. Once completed, another coat of Future was applied.  I cannot stress this enough, do not try and apply decals without a smooth, shiny surface. The decals were dipped in warm to hot water and using Mr.MarkSofter decal solution, the decals conformed beautifully to the model. One point about these decals that must be made. The decal placement diagrams that comes with Leading Edge products are fabulous. I have photographed these jets many times and have a great resource of photos, I am now at the point that I do not have to use my photographs to double check where the decals should be placed, the diagrams are bang on. This makes my workspace less cluttered!

   After all the decals were applied, I cleaned the model with water and dish soap. Once dry, I airbrushed several light coats of Dull Coat. Now that the model now has a proper flat finish, I attach the other pieces; flaps, slats, missiles, tanks, canopy, antenna and ladder.

   I was very happy with the end result and it is a nice addition to my collection of CF-18 models. I am currently working on another CF-18 kit, again a Hasegawa in 48th. This time it will be the 441 Squadron D-Day Special but this time I am using something new. Leading Edge has now released a new mask set for Hornets. So far, I am very impressed and it does help speed up the painting process.  If you are planning on building a Hornet in any scale, try this mask set out, they are worth every penny! I will have another article on my latest CF-18 when completed!

  If you are ever in need of any reference on CF-18's, take a look at my website and you might find what you are looking for!

  www.hazersflightline.com

  Thanks for looking!

    Click on images below to see larger images

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 018.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 37.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 37.jpg 
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 38.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 38.jpg 

  Photos and text © by "Derek Heyes"