is a fairly old kit, but I started with it because I always loved the prototype
look of the Rafale. I built it out of the box, then again not really since I
used copper wire and card to enhance the fit and look of the model. My issue
with the kit is the lack of detail in the parts and the general poor fit of the
fuselage, but then again that is what modeling is about, overcoming the
challenges in a build and making it look real. I decided to drop the flaps,
raise the air brakes and show the canards moved slightly upward.
images below to see larger images
scratch built the HUD display, painted all the red and blue stripes on the
plane as it gives the scheme a more realistic look around compound curves
and in this case gave me more control to keep a uniform white color width
around the nav lights that could not have otherwise been achieved had I
used the stripes on the decal sheet. I added rivets and panel lines where
necessary which took most of the time. I also Detailed the landing gear
with extra wire. I used a light grey sludge to detail the panel lines to
avoid a greater contrast difference had I used a darker color.
decided to display the model in a museum type setting and to that effect built
a fairly simple diorama. I used card, styrene tubes and wire to build the posts.
Those in turn were glued to a base that was painted grey and a final coat of
future to give it a nice uniform sheen. I ran a chain between the posts and
built wheel chokes for the rear landing gear. Finally, I built two signs
one that describes the plane and the other for the manufacturer Dassault. I
would like to thank modelers Gary Wickham and David Aungst for sharing their
modeling tips in their how to articles which were a great help. I hope
you like the pictures of my model.